Non-science majors for AU and UK

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tennisball80

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard the UK and AU medical schools prefer science majors and they do not like non-science majors. Is that true ? :)

Thanks for any comments.

Members don't see this ad.

I can't answer for UK schools, but in Australia the schools couldn't care less what your major is in. The only exception to that is Melbourne's revamped med school that reopens in 2010 (or maybe 2011). That school will require certain subjects to have been taken for entry.

The obvious think to point out is that you don't need a degree, let alone a pre-med degree to do medicine in either country.

If you want to apply for graduate entry, different UK medical schools have different criteria, some require a bioscience degree, some require a science degree, some require a degree. You can check here; http://www.medschoolsonline.co.uk/index.php?pageid=11

If you want to apply without a degree; you'll need A-levels, an IB or similar level qualification with some science content.

I heard the UK and AU medical schools prefer science majors and they do not like non-science majors. Is that true ? :)

Thanks for any comments.

There is no "liking" one over the other. However, all of my classmates who were non-science majors struggled terrifically the first two years, so any preference may simply be on the part of the faculty recognizing this issue.