Non-science majors scared of M1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SpeedRacer

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone from a non-science background really scared about year 1 of med school? I mean, we've all taken the basic pre-reqs, but I personally have never taken genetics, molecular bio, cell bio, anatomy...

Are we gonna get slaughtered? (Especially considering there are quite a few bio majors out there...)

Members don't see this ad.

SpeedRacer said:
Is anyone from a non-science background really scared about year 1 of med school? I mean, we've all taken the basic pre-reqs, but I personally have never taken genetics, molecular bio, cell bio, anatomy...

Are we gonna get slaughtered? (Especially considering there are quite a few bio majors out there...)

Take comfort in the fact that med school is somewhat overwhelming for everyone no matter what their major was. You often get through the college level stuff of a given discipline in the first week, and then everyone is on equal footing again. But it helps if you like studying sciences and take science tests well, because you will do a lot of that.

SpeedRacer said:

I feel your pain. (Well, not that I have to prepare myself for M1 just yet.) :(

Members don't see this ad :)
SpeedRacer said:

I would rather study a crap load of info that is challenging in the fact that a significant volume of information will be covered in a short period of time than study for something than write papers (yuck....let me get that taste out of my mouth... :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: )

SpeedRacer said:

I'll join the scared club. I was an English major in college and didn't really take courses beyond the pre-req sciences. Now that I'm getting past the initial excitement of getting into med school, I feel like I ought to try to learn some of the basics that bio majors will know for biochem, etc. I just don't know where to start and have this lingering fear that I'm going to really fall behind everyone else once school begins.

riceman04 said:
I would rather study a crap load of info that is challenging in the fact that a significant volume of information will be covered in a short period of time than study for something than write papers (yuck....let me get that taste out of my mouth... :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: )

that sentence made no sense whatsoever. maybe you should have spent more time writing papers.

KIDDING kidding kidding :rolleyes:

I am. I can't prepare myself for MS1 though till I get all my ducks in order. :) I don't even know exactly where I am going yet.

Honestly, you guys will be fine. They will give you all the information you need to know in medical school. You might have to work harder/spend a little more time at some subjects than some of your classmates, though. For me (and some of my fellow non-science classmates), this has been the most frustrating thing.

Totally with you guys.

It's ok, we're going to rock any medical humanities class out there... and probably be better speaking with our patients. anyone can learn science, and we've proven we can. but not everyone can be good at humanities... yeah...

:scared:

I studied linguistics as an undergrad, and by the time I'm in M1 (hopefully), I will already have been out of school for 1.5 years! So all the science I DID learn i would have forgotten! Luckily I'm teaching for KAPLAN so that keeps me somewhat current, but I am definitely frightened by anatomy and physiology in M1. My boyfriend was a physiology major in college and he had SUCH an easy time in M1 (at WashU), I think I will be the exact opposite case.

I'll be in the library 24/7! (hm, sounds like undergrad!)

SpeedRacer said:
that sentence made no sense whatsoever. maybe you should have spent more time writing papers.

KIDDING kidding kidding :rolleyes:

yeah I just went back and read that!!
trying to get over finals...that's my lame excuse

riceman04 said:
yeah I just went back and read that!!
trying to get over finals...that's my lame excuse

it's ok, my excuse in another thread was "i'm hungry."

AmyBEMT said:
Honestly, you guys will be fine. They will give you all the information you need to know in medical school. You might have to work harder/spend a little more time at some subjects than some of your classmates, though. For me (and some of my fellow non-science classmates), this has been the most frustrating thing.

Yeah, you guys will be fine. If you got accepted, then adcoms know you can do the work. I say this and yet I too am afraid of M1. Despite being a science major, I have horrible study habits which are non-existent 99% of the time. In addition, gaining an acceptance the week before finals is going to cause a rapid deterioration in my already suffering grades. Oh, well.