• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

pseudoMCAT45

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
i noticed some school recommend courses like computer sciences and stats.... now, I'm a typical poor college student that can barely afford monthly rent, I really think taking those classes at a JC will help me financially

good?

RySerr21

i aint kinda hot Im sauna
10+ Year Member
Dec 22, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
i noticed some school recommend courses like computer sciences and stats.... now, I'm a typical poor college student that can barely afford monthly rent, I really think taking those classes at a JC will help me financially

good?

it won't matter if you take it a JC. do whatever is better financially

Cegar

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 17, 2008
Status (Visible)
Doesn't matter.

Plenty of people take classes at JC's and get to do cool things. The quality of the JC is pretty variable though. Make sure the one you attend is actually decent. Look at a course catalog. You can get a good idea of the difficulty and quality from that.

About the Ads

notdeadyet

Still in California
15+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
i noticed some school recommend courses like computer sciences and stats....
You're fine with JC classes.

But what US medical school requires computer science courses as a prereq? That's the silliest thing I've heard. I'd probably not apply to that school on principle.

husky10501

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
yeah, i'm debating whether or not i should take stats at a local Com college as well this summer. I'll be taking an mcat course and want to take stats to fulfill some graduation requirements. I'm a washington state resident so i have like 20 credits from comm college as a high school student b/c it was free under the running start program. I hope they will take it into consideration that most of my comm college courses..mainly english and humanity courses, were taken when i was a 16 year old junior in high school. Now, i'm just worried that they'll think that i'm taking stats at a cc b/c it might be easier and not cheaper. any suggestions?

wizenedone

Indeed...
10+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
You're fine with JC classes.

But what US medical school requires computer science courses as a prereq? That's the silliest thing I've heard. I'd probably not apply to that school on principle.

I think OP didn't mean CompSci course but some schools (I think) require stats class as a pre-req.

pseudoMCAT45

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I visited ucla and some other CA schools' websites, they stated a basic computer science course is recommended. but yea, its kinda odd i know

notdeadyet

Still in California
15+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I visited ucla and some other CA schools' websites, they stated a basic computer science course is recommended. but yea, its kinda odd i know
If a med school recommends something, you can pretty much ignore it. You won't be penalized for it in admissions and you won't struggle without it in medical school. When it's required, take it.

I didn't even see that requiremeent for UCLA or any other CA med school and it didn't stop me from getting good traction at the UCs. A computer science class will not help you in any way, shape or form in medical school.

Computer science classes don't teach you how to use MS Office, a web browser or a search engine, and that's basically the extent of computer backgound you need. Don't sweat it.

Auron

Cruisin' the Cosmos
10+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
I'm taking 2 non-pre req classes at a CC this summer. I'm saving many thousands of dollars ($800 versus $5600 at my university) in the process. Now I'll have more money to deposit in my "AMCAS fund" for when I apply.

Auron

Cruisin' the Cosmos
10+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
save money is the way to do :thumbup:

Indeed.

Trust me, you'll need all that money come application time, with all those secondaries, interviews etc. It'll all add up. Plus, I see no point in wasting so much money for just a couple of classes - it's the same class. Just make sure you get an A, and you're good. One of my goals is to minimize debt in this whole process, right now I'm at zero, and I intend to keep it as close to that number as possible.

Doctor Doogie

10+ Year Member
Apr 15, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
If a med school recommends something, you can pretty much ignore it. You won't be penalized for it in admissions and you won't struggle without it in medical school. When it's required, take it.

I didn't even see that requiremeent for UCLA or any other CA med school and it didn't stop me from getting good traction at the UCs. A computer science class will not help you in any way, shape or form in medical school.

Computer science classes don't teach you how to use MS Office, a web browser or a search engine, and that's basically the extent of computer backgound you need. Don't sweat it.

Some medical schools say 1 semester of Calc and the other of Statistics or CS.

notdeadyet

Still in California
15+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Some medical schools say 1 semester of Calc and the other of Statistics or CS.
Oh, god, then go with statistics. Knowing how to crunch statistics or (more importantly) read them will take you a lot further than being able to recite the history of C++ and writing "Hello, World" in Java.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.