doomknight

Bing
10+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2008
Status
Are math/statistics professors considered non-science?

What about Geography? It's social science but would it be considered nonscience?

Thanks

fuzzywuz

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 6, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
Are math/statistics professors considered non-science?

What about Geography? It's social science but would it be considered nonscience?

Thanks
1) You are correct, they are non-science.
2) Also correct, non-science.

I'm curious...why a letter from the geo professor? Did you research with this person or do particularly well in the class? If it's the latter...I don't think it'll help you much to get a LOR from him/her.

BTW, nice MCAT score.

[pj]

10+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2006
Status
Medical Student

I'm curious...why a letter from the geo professor? Did you research with this person or do particularly well in the class? If it's the latter...I don't think it'll help you much to get a LOR from him/her.

BTW, nice MCAT score.
Many schools require you to submit non-science LORs, so I'd recommend getting one.

OP
D

doomknight

Bing
10+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2008
Status

BTW, nice MCAT score.
I took two of his classes, and his daughter went to same HS as me, although I didn't know him at the time. I also had geography in soph year, while I had statistics in freshman year, so I figured I'd ask the geography prof, but I'll be asking both just in case. I never took math actually, just the statistics.

G

ghostfoot

[pj];6582600 said:
Many schools require you to submit non-science LORs, so I'd recommend getting one.
But what's their definition of non-science? non-BCPM? How 'bout psychology?

fuzzywuz

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 6, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
I guess one of the best way to do it is see how AMCAS would categorize your class.

If it fits under the BCP category, then its science.

[pj]

10+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2006
Status
Medical Student
But what's their definition of non-science? non-BCPM? How 'bout psychology?
If you want to get technical, I would say anything that is not within the standards of biology, chemistry, math, and physics according to the AAMC is non-science. Psychology is not a science, it's a social science (yeah, you have the word science, but you know what I mean).