Non-Surgical Residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bobby Mercer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any residency programs that don't focus as much on surgery? Of course they will all have surgery and I want to learn the basics like bunions, hammertoes, neuroma removal, forefoot stuff, but I'm really not that interested in ex fix, rearfoot or ankle sx, etc. I would like to focus more on the conservative side of podiatry and really focus on biomechanics, wound care, dermatology that kind of stuff. I plan to open up a practice in a small town so all that rearfoot sx probably won't apply to me. Anyone know of any programs like this? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

There are a few PMS-24s left out there... they won't have much/any RRA recon. Outside that, a residency at most VA hospitals or limited scope of practice states will probably be more focused on wound care and basic surgery while not featuring much RRA.

I would definitely advise you not to sell yourself short. Get the best program you can; it never hurts to be "overtrained." Residency will give you most of the skills and experience for the rest of your career. You can always decide to do just basic procedures and office stuff if you train at a high quality trauma/RRA/academic/etc program, but it doesn't work the other way around: you probably can't get privliges and won't have skills for the advanced stuff if you do a ho-hum residency.

I agree with Feli that you can't go back and learn surgery very easily especially with the residency shortage but you can always learn practice management and conservative care.

If you do decide to sell yourself short as Feli said then the Denver, VA is a program you should look into.

Members don't see this ad :)
...If you do decide to sell yourself short as Feli said then the Denver, VA is a program you should look into.
She's as coooooooold as iiiiiice :D
Didn't want to name names... though I generically mentioned VA residencies too.

Good to see you back on. Where are you gonna be workin in a few months?

She's as coooooooold as iiiiiice :D
Didn't want to name names... though I generically mentioned VA residencies too.

Good to see you back on. Where are you gonna be workin in a few months?

going to cali for a fellowship with Shannon Rush.

Just got back from Africa last week. Awesome experience!

Sounds awesome. I heard he parted ways from teaching at Kaisers.. is he in private pod or ortho practice out there now?

He works for Palo Alto Medical Foundation (same umbrella as Amol Saxena, different office). It is a large multispecialty group throughout northern CA. They hire podiatry for all foot and ankle treatment.

Does anyone know of any residency programs that don't focus as much on surgery? Of course they will all have surgery and I want to learn the basics like bunions, hammertoes, neuroma removal, forefoot stuff, but I'm really not that interested in ex fix, rearfoot or ankle sx, etc. I would like to focus more on the conservative side of podiatry and really focus on biomechanics, wound care, dermatology that kind of stuff. I plan to open up a practice in a small town so all that rearfoot sx probably won't apply to me. Anyone know of any programs like this? Thanks.

All residencies will focus on surgery now. That is the main focus of the CPME documents. No non-surgical residencies exist any longer.