Jan 2, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
I have somewhat of an anomalous situation. My current overall gpa is a 3.8 coupled with a 4.0 science gpa. Haven't taken my MCAT yet, but I anticipate doing well. I've garnered over 400 clinical, hospital volunteer hours involving direct patient care and am currently participating in a really cool, psychiatric research internship... my dilemma is as follows: My first collegiate go round (over 20 years ago) evolved around pursuing a career that weighted industry networking over academic performance - thus I am saddled with about 100 units of 3.0 from 20 years ago. I'm mortified by how much my gpa will plummet when these sub par past grades get tabulated into my overall gpa for med school assessment.

I guess my question is: Can I hope for any kind of consideration that these poorer grades were earned so very long ago? I have a phenomenal professional resume built during that time period too, loaded with extremely unusual and highly impressive industry specific, awards and accolades. My former resume is a true head turner and so weighty you could bludgeon someone with it. After making the recent decision to go for this more cerebral vocational overhaul, my academic performance has been impeccable - but I'm still plagued with naysayers who assure me that my past will unequivocally be a death knell for med school acceptance.

Thanks so much in advance for any advice and insights. Much appreciated.

*cheers*

Last edited:
OP
Hologram in Cambodia
Jan 2, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
Thank you. Sadly, I figured this was my fate. My overall gpa will descend to approx 3.36, while my science gpa will remain at a 4.0 - hopefully still in the running for some less competitive options if I'm able to rustle up the MCAT numbers I anticipate... *sigh*

Last edited:

Kjbds1

7+ Year Member
Sep 9, 2011
Boston, MA
Status
Medical Student
You should be fine. Virtually every school's application includes a section labeled something like "is there anything else you would like us to know or consider". A brief statement along the lines of your first post (albeit in better words, obviously) should do fine. I got into Tufts and the University of Utah despite having a 3.3 GPA in Political Science from my undergrad and not submitting until late November. I had an excellent resume and a 36Q, which negated my poor undergrad experience. Once you're 5+ years out from undergrad, no one cares.

As far as the naysayers are concerned, my policy is very simple. If they are on an admissions board at a medical school, their opinion matters a great deal. Med students' opinions are second highest (I would rate them higher than residents or attendings, simply because they are much closer to the current admission paradigm, i.e. diversity matters much more than it did 25 years ago). If the naysayers have not been admitted to med school, tell them to $%& off.

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Strongly suggest contacting Admissions Deans to see if you'd be competitive. You are definitely a non-trad and I susepct you'd fall into that magic 10%ile of acceptees who's GPAs are below avg for any given institution. The key thing is getting your app past the roboscreener and to a pair of eyeballs.

Keep in mind that DO programs have grade forgiveness and count the most recent, better grade for courses that are retaken.