Non-trad applicant considering best path for skills and passion, timeline and finances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BotsogoBontle

Reaction score
I'm 30, currently working as a research assistant in an office dealing with social determinants of health and chronic health conditions. I recently finished my peace corps service where I helped with youth leadership, HIV and youth sexual/reproductive health education. Before that I worked at planned parenthood as a healthcare assistant, which was my first job out of undergrad.

High school through maybe junior year of college I was set on Med school. After studying abroad my senior year of college, I started to consider a shorter timeline to practice healthcare globally as a nurse or nurse-midwife (I was always interested in MSF and thought nursing would be a shorter way to get there). I studied women’s studies in college and also felt that nursing and nurse midwifery aligned more with my developing feminist identity.

Earlier in 2020, I started to reconsider Med school, how the education could go deeper and my scope of practice could as well. I was especially considering the opportunity to be an abortion provider and how pursuing the nurse practitioner/nurse midwifery role would not bring me to that goal in most states (but who knows what could happen in the near future, some states are allowing mid-level providers to perform abortions).

Even though women’s and sexual, reproductive health is a passion, I still consider myself open to other fields. I’m learning quite a bit about the patient experience with type II DM right now.

Undergrad (high-ranking public university) B.S Women’s studies, French minor. I took most pre-Med classes, but did not have an upward trajectory, science GPA about 3.2. Overall GPA 3.5. I did not take the MCAT during undergrad because I wanted to think about my path further. I worked at a student sexual assault prevention and support office and volunteered at the university hospital during undergrad as well as completed a semester abroad program in central Africa.

After talking to a pre-Med advisor and some Med school admissions reps, the combined advice I received was to retake pre-Med courses to prepare myself for the MCAT.

I would like to do a DIY post-bac so I can continue to work full time and learn about research and take classes at the same time. So far I’ve only retaken statistics at a 2yr college because I would need this for nursing programs and one Med school admissions rep suggested this for their program(a public health heavy Med curriculum). It was a safe class to take first to reintegrate into school. I was thinking of taking Genetics at a 4yr university next because it seems interesting to me at this point in my life although it will likely be much more challenging for me. I actually withdrew from genetics my last semester of undergrad and it would feel like tying a loose end. The idea of taking intro bio, chem and physics again does not thrill me, not because I didn’t do well in those classes, but I’d rather take genetics, A&P, microbio to feel like I can pick up where I left off and learn new content. The nursing prerequisites actually seem more satisfying to me (A&P, microbio, developmental psych, nutrition) because I haven’t taken those before and I feel those classes are more applicable to healthcare. I would consider retaking bio chem, even though I took it twice during undergrad, just because I appreciated the value in it. (My first grade in the course was not where I wanted it to be).

I have been saying for several months now that a good next step would be to shadow doctors and NPs/CNMs. I haven’t pursued this recently given the pandemic, but am open to advice on how to ask for shadowing experiences even via telemedicine. I work at a medical institution so this should not be too much of a challenge!

I’m looking for feedback on where to go from here. I’ve thought about the timeline, how my 30’s will go towards my schooling and training. If medicine is the route I choose, I think I will be able to optimistically remind myself that I am a doctor in training at every level and that time is never wasted.

I think the nursing route would also be satisfying and a better option financially (less years of school, more years to practice). I wonder if I will wish I had a larger scope of practice however. For nursing programs, I’m really interested in direct entry masters programs, especially ones which partner with the peace corps Coverdell fellowship.

I would appreciate any advice or thoughts on anything I’ve mentioned.

More specifically, some questions I have are:

How to gain shadowing experience during this time to help with my decision?

How do you compare nursing vs medical curriculum/education?

What information have you found that might be helpful for making the decision between nursing and medicine?

What classes would you recommend I take next?

What are some questions I can ask myself for further reflection?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi! Just a quick note. I started a DIY postbac at 30 (classes while working) and started med school at 37 (took me 3 application cycles--I did some dumb things and I am visibly disabled). If I had it to do over again, I would have quit working and borrowed money to take classes full-time. Does not need to be a formal postbac--can just be FT classes at your local institution. 37 was really old to start.

I was in a direct-entry NP program and dropped out to start med school prereqs. Nursing school was, to use the technical term, not for me. Lousy academics--and this was at a "good" program.

We have a similar background--I worked in social services before turning to medicine. I assumed I was going into primary care, but got interested in pathology during med school, and am now going into forensics.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users