Non-Trad Applicants for Cycle 2012/2013 School List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EWO

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have complied a list of about ten schools, 6 M.D. and 4 D.O. medical schools. I based these on the school's number of minority as well as their bottom tenth percentile. (Caveat: If there bottom tenth percentile g.p.a wise is 3.4, 3.5, 3.6, etc I feel I would be wasting time, energy and money to apply there given my gpa will not probably break past 3.1)

I know many people on here advise to apply to more schools but with my low numbers it would not make sense to apply to places I KNOW will not see my application.

My "current" list:

M.D.

Meharry
Temple
NYMC
Wake Forest
Drexel-
CWRU

Addendum to the M.D. schools:
Univ of Rochester
Georgetown and GWU
Tulane
Emory
Tufts and Loyola

D.O.
NYCOM
PCOM

William Carey
Touro-NY

I wanted to know (My questions)

1) If any of the non-trads or traditional students(current medical students preferably or med graduates) have any objective insight into any of these schools as well as any of these particular locations.

2) What criteria do you place in finding a possible school being that you are a non-traditional student.

If anyone can answer either of these questions, or both please post or if you really can give me some insight, please PM me.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey there,

Just wanted to chime is as "one of the 3" from last year at Tulane - it's really not bad. It took a quick second to adjust to, but to be honest, most of the time you're too busy to notice and the remainder of the time is spent with a pretty great student body. Also, the racial composition of medical specialities almost mirrors this - aside from HBCUs, as a Black doctor, you're going to be one of few, period. My admissions year was a freak year. This year's incoming class has about 8.

But some feedback from your post: I'm not sure that if you're looking for diversity, you're going to find in at DO schools (though NYCOM, TOURO, and PCOM are probably a good bet). Aside from a few, they are notoriously lacking diversity. Also, it's kind of hard to find a med school that's not mostly Black or White, and the ones that are high in diversity are typically the top of the league... If you want to stay in the South and have some diversity, I think U of Kentucky gives out minority scholarships that attracts quite a bit of minority students...but then again, it's in Kentucky - not sure how you feel about that.

If memory serves me right, GWU, Tulane, and Drexel are the 3 schools in the nation that receive the most applications. Imo, due to sheer volume alone, it's a little harder to differentiate yourself in these pools, so you really need to look at the mission statements for these and make sure you fit with their goals (i.e. your past experiences line-up with what they "look for in an applicant"). I have nothing good to say about Georgetown.

Also, I'm from Jersey and the price for OOS students is nearly that of any private school...I'd ex a UMDNJ off my list if you were seriously considering it

If you want to be picky with where you're going to school (nothing wrong with that, you just seem to have a lot of exclusion criteria as compared to many applicants with the "I'll go where ever I get in" mentality), you really need to nail the MCAT.

Best wishes

Hey there,

Just wanted to chime is as "one of the 3" from last year at Tulane - it's really not bad. It took a quick second to adjust to, but to be honest, most of the time you're too busy to notice and the remainder of the time is spent with a pretty great student body. Also, the racial composition of medical specialities almost mirrors this - aside from HBCUs, as a Black doctor, you're going to be one of few, period. My admissions year was a freak year. This year's incoming class has about 8.

But some feedback from your post: I'm not sure that if you're looking for diversity, you're going to find in at DO schools (though NYCOM, TOURO, and PCOM are probably a good bet). Aside from a few, they are notoriously lacking diversity. Also, it's kind of hard to find a med school that's not mostly Black or White, and the ones that are high in diversity are typically the top of the league... If you want to stay in the South and have some diversity, I think U of Kentucky gives out minority scholarships that attracts quite a bit of minority students...but then again, it's in Kentucky - not sure how you feel about that.

If memory serves me right, GWU, Tulane, and Drexel are the 3 schools in the nation that receive the most applications. Imo, due to sheer volume alone, it's a little harder to differentiate yourself in these pools, so you really need to look at the mission statements for these and make sure you fit with their goals (i.e. your past experiences line-up with what they "look for in an applicant"). I have nothing good to say about Georgetown.

Also, I'm from Jersey and the price for OOS students is nearly that of any private school...I'd ex a UMDNJ off my list if you were seriously considering it

If you want to be picky with where you're going to school (nothing wrong with that, you just seem to have a lot of exclusion criteria as compared to many applicants with the "I'll go where ever I get in" mentality), you really need to nail the MCAT.

Best wishes

Thanks for the best wishes. Yes, I did ex-UMDNJ off since it is a public school. I want to clarify, I am not being "picky" to just be picky, I have to be picky because my gpa(3.0/3.1) is not even within the bottom 10% of 2/3 of the medical schools.Also, even though I am trying to apply to diverse schools, I am aware that I may be the only or one of a few. WOW, Georgetown is getting thumbs down from all over! LOL I will continue to look into schools. It may be better for me to keep it regional. Thanks for your kind comment!

EWO

Last edited:
I decided for the M.D. portion, to try and keep it regional...for the most part so here is an updated M.D. list:

Emory
Meharry
Morehouse
Tulane
UAB
USA
Vanderbilt
Wake Forest

Non-Southern Schools:
CWRU-Case Western

Last edited: