Non-Trad, CA, 30M, 3.4+ cGPA, 3.9+ sGPA, Chances and School list?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

unusual

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Non-Traditional 27yr old student from California
Not a URM
30M MCAT (9 VR/10 PS/ 11 BS)
DO: ~3.47 cGPA, ~3.87 sGPA
MD: ~3.49 cGPA, ~3.69 sGPA
200+ hours of clinical volunteering at ER department
40+ hours of tutoring at homeless shelter
100+ hours of volunteering at a pharmacy
~30hr/week working as an IT manager at a small company
No research experience
Strong LOR from both a MD and a DO doctor and from volunteer coordinator
2 science professors LOR

I've already applied to DO schools. I would like to apply to some MD schools also. I am not trying to apply to any reach schools although all the MD schools might be a reach with my stats. Anyhow, what are my chances and what's a good school list for me? I've compiled the list below. Thanks for the help.

Jefferson
Temple
Georgetown
George Washington
Virginia Commonwealth
Drexel
Rosalind Franklin
University of Arizona
Meharry
Albany
Tulane
Wake Forest
Virginia Tech
Pen State

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Non-Traditional 27yr old student from California
Not a URM
30M MCAT (9 VR/10 PS/ 11 BS)
DO: ~3.47 cGPA, ~3.87 sGPA
MD: ~3.49 cGPA, ~3.69 sGPA
200+ hours of clinical volunteering at ER department
40+ hours of tutoring at homeless shelter
100+ hours of volunteering at a pharmacy
~30hr/week working as an IT manager at a small company
No research experience
Strong LOR from both a MD and a DO doctor and from volunteer coordinator
2 science professors LOR

I've already applied to DO schools. I would like to apply to some MD schools also. I am not trying to apply to any reach schools although all the MD schools might be a reach with my stats. Anyhow, what are my chances and what's a good school list for me? I've compiled the list below. Thanks for the help.

Jefferson
Temple - Delete
Georgetown - Delete
George Washington
Virginia Commonwealth
Drexel
Rosalind Franklin
University of Arizona
Meharry
Albany
Tulane - Delete
Wake Forest - Delete

Virginia Tech
Pen State
Hofstra - Add
UCF - Add
U Minn- Duluth (primary care)+Twin Cities

What do you think about these changes?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the help Alex. I didn't think I would get a reply. I looked up the 3 schools you added and it looks like Hofstra and UCF are good choices but it seems like U Minn highly prefers Minnesota residents.

I am a nontrad with stats just slightly higher than yours (31m 3.83cgpa 3.73sgpa) and a lot less ECs. I met with my preprofessional advisor today to go over my school list and these are the ones he suggested from it.

Albany Medical College
Creighton University School of Medicine
Drexel University College of Medicine
Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine
The Commonwealth Medical College
The University of Miami School of Medicine
University of Arizona College of Medicine-Phoenix
University of Nevada School of Medicine
University of Rochester School of Medicine and Den
West Virginia University School of Medicine

Another good resource is this spreadsheet. While you may have to update some of the MCAT scores, it is quite helpful.

http://is.gd/sdn_med_matriculant_data

I also wanted to add something that he told me today that I was unaware of. Apparently, all other stats being equal, us notradtionals would get the nod over traditionals due to possibly having more life experiences. I don't know if this is common knowledge or even true but it was definitely heartening for me to hear.

As a non-trad, that is very heartening to hear!! As for U of Arizona - Phoenix, I've applied there this cycle but they've just sent out an email with a link to their new school website and it seems that their pre-reqs are more than I thought - including:

Subject: Chemistry
2 semester/8 credits or equivalent quarter hours, specifically: minimum is a) 1 semester/4 credits of general chemistry; b) 1 semester/4 credits of biochemistry. Labs recommended.

Subject: Biology
3 semester/12 credits or equivalent quarter hours, specifically: minimum of a) 1 semester/4 credits of physiology; b) remaining 2 semesters/8 credits should be taken in any of the following areas: cell biology, genetics, general biology, physiology, anatomy, microbiology, or virology; and c) of these 3 semesters, 1 semester/4 credits must be upper division-level coursework. Labs recommended.

Kind of a bummer, since I only did the bare minimum. It doesn't look like Arizona - Tuscon has the same requirements.

Thanks hollistn. Your info has been extremely helpful. I've nearly finished narrowing down my list.

Good luck to all my fellow non-trad!