Non-Trad/Career Changer Success Stories - Journey to Dentistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FormerMechanic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
To my fellow Non-Traditional/Career Changers out there in SDN land:

So, I just wanted to get a sense of those who are in the application pool right now or perhaps current Dental students that may stumble upon this thread and are of the stated above, a career changer/non-traditional student. I would like to get a discussion going on successes thus far, in regards to interviews and/or acceptances for current dental students.

I am a career changer myself, of course, and throughout this whole process I have found it to be not only enjoyable but an experience unlike any other. Although I have improved scholastically, the numbers I have achieved thus far have been lower than my initial expectations. As I sit and wait patiently to receive some sort of response to the schools I have applied to, I am concerned that what I hear will not be pleasant. I have geared up to re-apply next cycle in anticipation that I will not receive the sought after acceptance this cycle.

Enough of that. Essentially, anyone who falls underneath the category of a non-traditional student, I think it would be interesting to hear from others who have decided to endure such a journey. If you are willing to share any background information such as previous degree, GPA, DAT, EC's, schools applied to, etc.; what you share is entirely up to you. I think it may be beneficial for not only us to read but perhaps even those "regular" undergrad students may receive some insight from what we have to say. Looking forward to the responses.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a non-trad, but not that different from normal students. I earned a BM/MM in music and worked professionally for two years before deciding to leave. Lots of folks have made more out of the change than there really was to it. Science isn't all that different from music, and I never had much trouble doing coursework. Academically, I have excelled since I left high school and pride myself on this fact. I like to think my life in music has prepared me a great deal for dentistry. I am independent, have experience working under pressure, and understand the level of fine motor control needed. I see myself as a unique applicant, and that has been reflected in my interviews. Folks seem to be very interested in my experiences as a musician, which is fine with me. There is never a dearth of subject matter with me, and I have enjoyed interviewing a great deal so far.

Something I've learned is that most people are more willing to help you than you probably think. Advisors, admissions counselors, fellow pre-dents, etc. Even random dentists. Most people like talking about themselves, and by that I mean that folks are usually perfectly willing to share their experiences. Talk to as many people as you can. Our time is limited here.

I would say that everyone should try to be as unique as possible. Great stats make you the opposite of unique. Plenty of people get in with below avg stats because it is clear, through the lives that they have lead, that they bring something special to a class.

Reactions: 2 users