(NON-TRAD) cGPA: 3.7 ; sGPA: 3.84 ; MCAT: 33

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KeepItReal7

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Graduated from a top 20 liberal arts school in 2011 and then did a career changing post-bacc program since I had previously only taken one pre-req. Finished the program this past May and took the MCAT.....I am currently applying to MD schools.

NY State Resident/White male (Age: 24)
Undegraduate GPA: 3.57 (Major: Environmental studies and policy)
Post-Bacc GPA: 3.94
cGPA:3.7
sGPA: 3.84
MCAT (33): PS: 10 ; VR: 10 ; BS: 13

Research:
- interned as a research assistant with a Duke doctor summer of 2010 (600 hours) --> data entry, analysis, and currently co-authoring paper from that research (we have stayed in touch and I have been helping him out via phone/email)
- research assistant for NYC doctor for 1 month winter-term project during January 2010 (140 hours)
- involved with ecology research as an undergrad (1000 hours)
- currently research assistant with liver transplant surgeon at top medical school in NYC and will be involved in presenting research at conferences, etc (will be involved for all of gap year)

Clinical:
- shadowing (~70 hours) --> will be doing more during gap yr with surgeon
- hospice volunteering (130 hours at time of AMCAS submission on June 20th) --> will be doing more during gap yr

Volunteer:
- organized and presented health edu seminar for refugees at a community health center ( 30 hrs)
- started enviro edu group as undergrad and taught lessons to 2nd graders 1-2x per week (250 hrs)

Work:
- full-time education coordinator for enviro non-profit during summer 2009 running local food educ programs for high school students

Here is my school list:

1. All SUNY medical schools (Stonybrook is my first choice)
3. Hofstra
4. Albany
5. NYMC
6. Georgetown
7. George Washington
8. Albert Einstein
9. UVM
10. Jefferson
11. Tulane
12. Tufts
13. Boston Uni
14. Chicago Medical School
15. Temple
16. Rush
17. U of Miami
18. Florida International
19. Wake Forest
20. USC- Keck

Major Reaches: NYU, Mt. Sinai, Brown, Emory,

I know my shadowing hours are pretty low but I will be doing a lot this year and will stress that in the secondaries. I want to find a way to highlight the research/clinical/shadowing I will be doing this year (up through August 2014). I also have upcoming job interviews for hospital positions (per-diem lab assistant) so I will hopefully have that to add to the list and mention in secondaries and during interviews.

If anybody has any advice on schools to add to my list or any general comments-- I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Chances are excellent. I'd throw in ALL NY schools on the list, plus ALL PA (except Commonwealth) and Duke. Forget Brown, they like their own UGs. Emory? you're in strking distance.

Here is my list:

1. All SUNY medical schools
3. Hofstra
4. Albany
5. NYMC
6. Georgetown
7. George Washington
8. Albert Einstein
9. UVM
10. Jefferson
11. Tulane
12. Tufts
13. Boston Uni
15. Temple
16. Rush
17. U of Miami
19. Wake Forest
20. USC- Keck

Members don't see this ad :)
Chances are excellent. I'd throw in ALL NY schools on the list, plus ALL PA (except Commonwealth) and Duke. Forget Brown, they like their own UGs. Emory? you're in strking distance.

Here is my list:

1. All SUNY medical schools
3. Hofstra
4. Albany
5. NYMC
6. Georgetown
7. George Washington
8. Albert Einstein
9. UVM
10. Jefferson
11. Tulane
12. Tufts
13. Boston Uni
15. Temple
16. Rush
17. U of Miami
19. Wake Forest
20. USC- Keck

Brown has been slowly reducing their BS/MD program. They like people out of their undergrad just fine for the majority of their class now.

It's still a fairly small school, so that fact is worth keeping in mind, but if you have specific reasons to apply there it's still worth the shot. It's also not really a reach given your stats.

Brown has been slowly reducing their BS/MD program. They like people out of their undergrad just fine for the majority of their class now.

It's still a fairly small school, so that fact is worth keeping in mind, but if you have specific reasons to apply there it's still worth the shot. It's also not really a reach given your stats.

Thanks for the advice-- since I already sent my AMCAS to them, I will fill out the secondary and apply but the small-school factor is important to consider. MSAR says there will be 120 1st year matriculants for 2014 (about the same as Stony Brook)-- so maybe they are trying to expand the class size?

Thanks for the advice-- since I already sent my AMCAS to them, I will fill out the secondary and apply but the small-school factor is important to consider. MSAR says there will be 120 1st year matriculants for 2014 (about the same as Stony Brook)-- so maybe they are trying to expand the class size?

So by 'small' I mostly mean by the time you subtract out their BS/MD matriculants, the number of slots for the traditional applicants is more like 65-70. Which is a fairly small number of available seats, although still more than are available at places like Mayo. The overall class size is indeed 110-120, and therefore fairly average for med schools.