• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

Non-trad chances 3.57 cGPA/3.93 sGPA/ 34P

About the Ads

darkjedi

how did this get here I am not good with computer
10+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2009
  1. Attending Physician
    Your chances are very good at getting accepted somewhere. Those top tiers will still be a large long shot, but if you have the time/money/energy to invest in doing all of those secondaries, by all means. It is also approaching later in the cycle if you haven't started submitting those secondaries yet.

If you had to cut, I would strongly consider cutting Harvard, Yale, and Stanford. Those schools are not as in love with post-bacs as some of the other top tiers are (i.e. Penn and Chicago)

boshtrich

10+ Year Member
    Jul 20, 2011
    1. Attending Physician
      Hi all,

A little about myself: I am a career changer (previous career in finance) and graduated from a top 5 LAC in 2007. I spent the last year at a post-bac program (bryn mawr, scripps, goucher) and completed the program with a 4.0. I recently got my MCAT back, which was a 34P (12/10/12). I have a 3.57 cGPA and a 3.93 BCPM, with a strong upward trend (freshman/sophomore years weighed me down)

While I was working, I didn't have much time to volunteer (worked about 80 hrs/week), but I have been able to put together the following ECs since graduating undergrad:
      - ~100 hrs volunteering at a senior living facility
      - ~80 hrs shadowing an internist
      - ~100 hrs shadowing a surgeon
      - I've been a volunteer private athletic coach for economically disadvantaged kids since about 2006 (about 2 hrs a week)
      -worked throughout undergrad (varied from part time to full time) in finance internships
      - played college sports
      -just started doing research in two different labs (full-time) at a top 5 medical school, which I will be doing during my glide year.
      -co-founded an investment club in college and was in leadership in another
      -very strong & varied LORs (according to my advisor)

Annnyyyywaayyyys (if you've stuck with me thus far, thank you!), I'm a CA resident and am currently waiting for my application to be verified (probably in the next couple of days). I initially applied to the UCs, but plan on adding more schools in the next couple of days and wanted some help finalizing my list. Here's what I have so far (I realize it's a ton, which is why I need help cutting it down), and I'd feel comfortable applying to 25-30 if I have to:

Harvard
      Yale
      Mayo
      Chicago
      Northwestern
      Stanford
      UCSF
      Mount Sinai
      Cornell
      Penn

Pitt
      Rochester
      Brown
      Dartmouth
      Baylor
      UCSD
      UCLA
      Vanderbilt
      NYU

Albert Einstein
      Tufts
      USC
      Irvine
      Miami
      Davis
      Georgetown
      Wake Forest
      Hofstra
      BU
      Oregon
      NYMC
      Creighton
      Tulane
      Jefferson
      Loyola
      VCU
      Temple

I realize this is a huge (& top heavy) list, which I do intend to cut down, which is why I request the help of you fine folk. Thank you all so much in advance, and I do intend on paying it forward! Good luck to everyone out there applying this cycle.

If you really want to cut down, I would look more into the bolded schools and decide which ones you really love, and which ones you don't like as much, as these are the reach schools. The main school I would look more into is Brown, as they have many of their seats reserved for BA/MD students, so it can be much more competitive for regular applicants than the numbers suggest. Overall, you have a very good mix of schools and should get several interviews, and likely several acceptances. It's mostly a matter of how much money you want to spend and how much time you want to spend writing secondary essays. Good luck!

About the Ads
      This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
      2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
      5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
      6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      7. This thread is locked.