Non-trad chances - sGPA 3.45 / cGPA 3.62 / MCAT 29N / TFA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

med2013dc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I've been out of undergrad for 3 years now and feel out of touch with the pre-med community. I am hoping you could share some insight into my chances at MD schools considering my stats and my non-traditional route to medicine. I'm trying to determine the most strategic school list and am hitting a wall - not sure how many total schools or how many of each tier to apply to.

Stats:
Education
Undergrad - University of Washington, BS in Biochemistry and minor in Chemistry
(cGPA: 3.62 / sGPA: 3.45)
Grad - American University, MA in Teaching
(GPA: 4.0)

MCAT
29N

ECs and employment:
* 1.5 years research in neurological surgery lab (UW Med)
* 1.5 years research in HIV lab (Fred Hutch Cancer Research Center)
* 1.5 years volunteering at Children's hospital in Seattle
* 2 years teaching with Teach for America
* 2 years leadership (chair, coach, school policy) in teaching
* 2 years (by fall 2013) research in community-based pediatrics (Children's hospital in DC)
* 50-75 hours shadowing various physicians
* Health policy internship in DC

I'm not sure if this is enough to get a good snapshot of my candidacy. Some positive intangibles are having quite a bit of experience to offer, being very clear on the direction of the medical career path I want to take, and having a unique background/ life trajectory that has brought me to this point. However, I know numbers are the deal breaker in end, so how should I set my school list?

Thanks for all your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'd blanket the less selective MD schools and consider including some DO schools. You have a decent chance of getting in SOMEWHERE despite your scores, but be prepared to go DO or reapply next year.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

I'd blanket the less selective MD schools and consider including some DO schools. You have a decent chance of getting in SOMEWHERE despite your scores, but be prepared to go DO or reapply next year.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

Is the high preference for MD just an "ego" thing because it requires better GPA and MCAT scores to get accepted? I understand there's not really a difference between DO and MD (except more avenues for specializing with the latter), but could you perhaps elaborate on the advantages of MD over DO school that I'm unaware of? I know this isn't the place to ask this (also, my apologies to the OP for hijacking your thread), but your post just sparked my curiosity because I have a 3.56 cGPA/3.45 sGPA and it looks like DO is my only option at this point. Thanks:)

MD seems to be preferred for the prestige since a lot of people don't know what a DO is. DO's can't really practice overseas and may have more trouble specializing, but the main difference seems to be society's view of MDs vs. DOs, in my opinion.