Non-trad changing from PA to MD/DO route

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tyrone.

Y'all got any more of them acceptance letters?
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I turn 27 next week and I still have 2.5 years of school left, even though I have enough credit hours to be a junior. I was originally an engineering major. Long story, won't get into it, but I became an EMT and started on this path and fought back and forth whether I wanted to be a PA or go full on and be a physician. I have updated my spreadsheet to what I can expect. The one thing that I've realized after researching my university is that I can't take biochem over the summer, so that kind of holds me back to take the MCAT later, since I have to take biochem in a fall semester. If anyone has any advice or would like to take a look, I'll post the spreadsheet below. Thanks.

Also, the age thing doesn't bother me at all, but it seems that I'd graduate in May 2020, spend the summer studying the MCAT and take in early fall before school's deadlines. So, I would not start med school (hoping that I get in on the first try) when I'm 31 in fall of 2021. That'll be 4 years, I'll be 35, and then residency, depending on what I choose. So, anywhere from 38 to mid 40's before practicing. I'm sure some might question why I didn't just stick with the shorter and easier route, but I've deliberated enough. Just wondering other people's thoughts. Any feedback (positive or negative) is appreciated and I'll take something from it. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• BA TEMPLATE MD:DO APPLY 2020.xlsx
    9.9 KB · Views: 45
I turn 27 next week and I still have 2.5 years of school left, even though I have enough credit hours to be a junior. I was originally an engineering major. Long story, won't get into it, but I became an EMT and started on this path and fought back and forth whether I wanted to be a PA or go full on and be a physician. I have updated my spreadsheet to what I can expect. The one thing that I've realized after researching my university is that I can't take biochem over the summer, so that kind of holds me back to take the MCAT later, since I have to take biochem in a fall semester. If anyone has any advice or would like to take a look, I'll post the spreadsheet below. Thanks.

Also, the age thing doesn't bother me at all, but it seems that I'd graduate in May 2020, spend the summer studying the MCAT and take in early fall before school's deadlines. So, I would not start med school (hoping that I get in on the first try) when I'm 31 in fall of 2021. That'll be 4 years, I'll be 35, and then residency, depending on what I choose. So, anywhere from 38 to mid 40's before practicing. I'm sure some might question why I didn't just stick with the shorter and easier route, but I've deliberated enough. Just wondering other people's thoughts. Any feedback (positive or negative) is appreciated and I'll take something from it. Thanks!

1) you're definitely not too old! Tons of people do what you're doing. Frankly 31 isn't that eye opening a matriculation age. If this is what you want to do, don't worry about it.

2) You don't absolutely have to take biochem through your parent school. I took classes at CCs, and even other four year schools to speed up my pre reqs. This could be an option for you to consider if you want to shave a semester or two off.

3) it's not a hard and fast rule that you can't have anything else going on in your life while doing mcat prep. I studied for the mcat while working part time and going to school part time, and did well. You just have to adjust the period of your studying. So for example, you could begin studying Christmas break and take the MCAT in may. That way, you can have an "earlier" app through amcas and aacomas.

Just some tips from my perspective, good luck op!

Thanks Workaholic! Yea, I plan to eat stay an EMT for the duration or find a way into the hospital and be a volunteer and connect as much as possible. If an clinical research position opened up that'd be awesome too. I do enjoy the EMT work. However, were an all 911 service so you have to work full time or not at all :/ a tough decision there. My local community college doesn't offer it over it so I'll look into other colleges around me. I'd love to shave time off and go straight in Fall 2020. I'll look into that some more! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
1) you're definitely not too old! Tons of people do what you're doing. Frankly 31 isn't that eye opening a matriculation age. If this is what you want to do, don't worry about it.

2) You don't absolutely have to take biochem through your parent school. I took classes at CCs, and even other four year schools to speed up my pre reqs. This could be an option for you to consider if you want to shave a semester or two off.

3) it's not a hard and fast rule that you can't have anything else going on in your life while doing mcat prep. I studied for the mcat while working part time and going to school part time, and did well. You just have to adjust the period of your studying. So for example, you could begin studying Christmas break and take the MCAT in may. That way, you can have an "earlier" app through amcas and aacomas.

Just some tips from my perspective, good luck op!

I agree with all that was said. And just some encouragement- I worked 40-60 hour weeks while studying for the mcat and was 7 years removed from school. I'm not super smart either, and not super hard working (well, now I am haha), so anything is possible!!!

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with all that was said. And just some encouragement- I worked 40-60 hour weeks while studying for the mcat and was 7 years removed from school. I'm not super smart either, and not super hard working (well, now I am haha), so anything is possible!!!

Thanks so much! It sometimes is a tough thing to swallow but at the same time, it's what I really want. When I get the support and encouragement from others that have come and done it before me it makes me feel that much more motivated!

No problem @stonestang ! This thread gives great advice on all of the courses/difficulties incase you were curious about the others. Happy to help. Wish I would have known about UNE to do some of my pre-requisites online. Best of luck to you :)

Fellow EMT here, time will pass either way so do what you really want. I will also be 31 when starting if next cycle/ MCAT goes well. :0
Take your time and don't trip over shortcuts. GL

Fellow EMT here, time will pass either way so do what you really want. I will also be 31 when starting if next cycle/ MCAT goes well. :0
Take your time and don't trip over shortcuts. GL
Yea. I'm not worried about any shortcuts at all. I'm going to do this right, in a thoughtful manner. It may take more than one cycle, but I am going to take my tine and make sure that the first cycle is not a poor attempt. I will be fully prepared. Thanks and good luck to you as well!

I know you're a few years away, but do your best to have the mcat done by summer instead of waiting for deadlines. By the time the deadline comes, many schools have given out > 50% of their interviews.

I know you're a few years away, but do your best to have the mcat done by summer instead of waiting for deadlines. By the time the deadline comes, many schools have given out > 50% of their interviews.
Thanks for that advice! I am planning on doing that, yea. I'm weighing whether or not to take the biochem online at a distant university, so I'm fully prepared. That's the real, biggest factor, since my university only has it in the fall and spring.