1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Non trad. confused about community college

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by Monkap, Sep 24, 1999.

1. Monkap

Monkap Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

I am currently enrolled in community college, because I work full time and it is the only school to offer pre-reqs at night. Here is my question: Most people tell me I should not attend community college if I am serious about getting into med. school. However I contacted NYCOM and NOVA (my top picks) and asked them. They both acted like I was nuts for even thinking that community college credits would be viewed in a negative light and said that they have lots of people accepted who did their pre-reqs at cc. What do you think?
    Thanks

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. miglo

miglo Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I've been told that community college is a joke. If you can, attend a state school. I have had friends attend ccs and from what I've seen, the work load is no where near the level you need to be at to compete at medschool. Now this is just _MY_ personal opinion (no flames now) but CCs are just "extended" high schools, not real universities.

------------------
    Ryan
    Western U/COMP Class of 2004
    thedigitaldoctor.com

4. Linda

Linda Member
    10+ Year Member

I highly suggest that you go to the best school available to you. Like you I had called a DO school and asked basically the same question and got the same answer. I ended up attending a small state school (for $ and location reasons) and feel that I got an excellent education there. However, going to an unknown college did not help me at all in the application process. At my interview at PCOM i was pummeled with questions and was forced to defend my education - I must have been convincing because they accepted me but it made me a nervous wreck.

If you need to take a few credits at a comm. college that is ok but then I suggest you move on.

Good luck!

5. 8404

8404 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

there is nothing wrong with getting your first two years(and some med school prereqs) at community college. lots of us do it that way, especially when we work full time during college or when we have no other choice. however, naturally the classes there are much easier than a regular four year school and if you were on an admissions committee would you place more emphasis on bio and chem 101 at NYU or at Queens community college??????

8404 (TUCOM 2003)

6. Louigee

Louigee Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

I obtained my A.S. at a community college before heading to a University to complete my degree. I was asked at several interviews about my education at the community college. One question I received was whether or not I believed my comminity college experience was similar to the quality of education I received at the University level. My answer: I received an excellent education at both schools. I got a smile and an acceptance. Everyone has their own views on such matters, but in the long run if you can keep your grades up at both schools and remain confident that the education you received was a quality one, attending a community college will not be a deciding factor. Good luck during your endeavors!

7. ReneeWB

ReneeWB Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I also did my first two years of undergrad at a community college for various reasons (i.e. cost, location and timing of classes). I transferred to a four year institution to get my Bachelor's degree. For the most part I was much less challenged to get good grades at the 4 year college than at the community college. One really shouldn't make the generalization that all community colleges are "easier" or inferior to universities. So, I agree with the previous poster that said it is important to maintain a high grade point wherever you are. If you can then score well on the MCAT, your community college credits should not be a factor in deciding whether a school will accept you. I was not asked about my CC education at all.

Best of luck to you.

Renee

8. almasque

almasque Member
    10+ Year Member

I was the same situation a few years ago, and I had no problem getting accepted. Chances are your application will be more closely scrutinized. The key is to have a strong MCAT to establish that you received a solid science foundation to build on in medical school. Good Luck!

9. Monkap

Monkap Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

I just wanted to say thanks to all those who replied. It is very encouraging to hear from people who like myself had no other choice but to attend a CC and got accepted. I'll just have to show them by getting a good mcat score.

Monica