Non trad - deciding whether to push MCAT 7/14

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nmed44

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Look forward to hearing your comments. Stats:
Grad college: '07
Grad MPH program: '09 East Coast

Undergrad: bio and sociology double. took pre-reqs and upper level bio: immuno, micro, cell, neuro, etc. sGPA: 2.7, cGPA: 3.3

Grad GPA: 3.7

First MCAT 2010: 19
Latest practice MCAT: 23

-Want MD.
-AMCAS almost complete.
-Deciding to take 7/14 MCAT and apply to a few MD programs (low-tier) and DO this year, while taking a few science courses (not retakes).

*Really want to give myself the option of going to school Fall 2013, even if low-tier or DO.

Opinions??? (and reasoning) would be great.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

Look forward to hearing your comments. Stats:
Grad college: '07
Grad MPH program: '09 East Coast

Undergrad: bio and sociology double. took pre-reqs and upper level bio: immuno, micro, cell, neuro, etc. sGPA: 2.7, cGPA: 3.3

Grad GPA: 3.7

-Want MD.
-AMCAS almost complete.
-Deciding to take 7/14 MCAT and apply to a few MD programs (low-tier) and DO this year, while taking a few science courses (not retakes).

*Really want to give myself the option of going to school Fall 2013, even if low-tier or DO.

Opinions??? (and reasoning) would be great.

I think you should push back your MCAT. Getting a 23 this close to test day is a very very bad sign. Was it an AAMC test?

Stats:

Undergrad: sGPA: 2.7, cGPA: 3.3

Grad GPA: 3.7 Is this an MPH or a hard science masters?

-Want MD.

Do not take the MCAT and apply now. A 2.7 sGPA is basically instant death to your app and if it isn't a 23 on the MCAT will be, for almost any US school (MD or DO). I would recommend using that postbacc to get your sGPA to 3.0+ and only take the MCAT when you are scoring in the 30s on your practice tests.

Even with a 3.3/2.7sgpa and a 30 MCAT you will stats-wise be an underdog for all US schools. If you can get your sGPA up this year, really take your time prepping for the MCAT and get a solid score you could have a decent chance next year at some schools. Do not rush it, get a solid app together before applying. :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there, yes AAMC 8. I think I've decided to push MCAT until 7/27 or 8/3 and get my AMCAS in within the next week, so schools are just waiting on score which would come out 8/28 or 9/5, respectively. I'm thinking this year to apply to a few MDs and some DOs, and will be signed up for 2 pathophysiology courses while studying....

I've been hearing on some "old premeds" websites that early august mcat isn't horrendous if all other stuff is in. Thanks for your thoughts!

Hi there, yes AAMC 8. I think I've decided to push MCAT until 7/27 or 8/3 and get my AMCAS in within the next week, so schools are just waiting on score which would come out 8/28 or 9/5, respectively. I'm thinking this year to apply to a few MDs and some DOs, and will be signed up for 2 pathophysiology courses while studying....

I've been hearing on some "old premeds" websites that early august mcat isn't horrendous if all other stuff is in. Thanks for your thoughts!

August MCAT can be okay but in your particular low GPA scenario it hurts a lot. I am glad you came to a decision to push back the MCAT, I think your plan to apply to a few schools is also good - your most safety schools. Be sure to include a school that is known to advise you post-rejection, too, so you an get the admissions perspective on your app.

It is best to apply when you are at your strongest which you are not at the moment. I think it is possible for you to gain acceptances, but not as things stand currently. Do a post-bacc and do well in it, get that sGPA up, and study hard for your next MCAT. If you want an MD you really need to step up in the post-bacc and show MD schools that you are a serious applicant.