Oct 9, 2013
Status
I wasn't sure if I should put this here or in WAMC. I know/think/have heard that non-trads are viewed a little differently than trads when it comes to ECs. For the record, I'm starting my pre-req's this summer and need everything (plus calculus and probably biochem and sociology). My undergrad GPA was a 3.7, basically a 4.0 from sophmore year onward.

I was a music major in my undergrad. After graduating I taught music lessons and performed professionally for a while. I gradually realized that I didn't like teaching music and started gravitating towards tutoring academic subjects. I'm working as an EMT now and getting my paramedic certification (started it before I realized hospital is probably a better place for me, at this point I'm far enough along that I may as well finish it) and still doing a mix of performing and teaching music/academics as well.

As far as ECs for my app go, I'm a bit concerned they aren't diversified or numerous enough. Basically my only "real" EC is that I work with homeless kids through a certain national organization. I was fortunate enough to get a pretty significant award from this organization for my efforts and was selected out of a pool of ~300 or so other people. I plan to play this up a bunch because it truly is a really good organization, and I learned a lot and had a huge impact on kids' lives.

Aside from that, I could write out a list of 30 musical groups I've performed with... I'm planning to only write a handful of the most well-known groups. I also started 2 groups on my own and manage their performance schedules and music, so that will look pretty good I guess.

So... homeless kids, music, tutoring and EMS experience (I will have been a paramedic for 2+ years by the time I apply). I don't have any yet, but of course I'm hoping to rack up a bunch of hours of shadowing. I'll also need to do several hundred hours of hospital rotations in the process of becoming a paramedic so hopefully that is viewed favorably.

I feel that I should pick up another EC, probably volunteering of some sort? maybe kill a few birds with one stone and figure out a way to do something useful/impactful in a healthcare/hospital setting?

Thoughts? Sorry for this being a bit difficult to parse and not just a list of "X hours doing X"...

stlrams22

Membership Revoked
Removed
Jun 1, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
I wasn't sure if I should put this here or in WAMC. I know/think/have heard that non-trads are viewed a little differently than trads when it comes to ECs. For the record, I'm starting my pre-req's this summer and need everything (plus calculus and probably biochem and sociology). My undergrad GPA was a 3.7, basically a 4.0 from sophmore year onward.

I was a music major in my undergrad. After graduating I taught music lessons and performed professionally for a while. I gradually realized that I didn't like teaching music and started gravitating towards tutoring academic subjects. I'm working as an EMT now and getting my paramedic certification (started it before I realized hospital is probably a better place for me, at this point I'm far enough along that I may as well finish it) and still doing a mix of performing and teaching music/academics as well.

As far as ECs for my app go, I'm a bit concerned they aren't diversified or numerous enough. Basically my only "real" EC is that I work with homeless kids through a certain national organization. I was fortunate enough to get a pretty significant award from this organization for my efforts and was selected out of a pool of ~300 or so other people. I plan to play this up a bunch because it truly is a really good organization, and I learned a lot and had a huge impact on kids' lives.

Aside from that, I could write out a list of 30 musical groups I've performed with... I'm planning to only write a handful of the most well-known groups. I also started 2 groups on my own and manage their performance schedules and music, so that will look pretty good I guess.

So... homeless kids, music, tutoring and EMS experience (I will have been a paramedic for 2+ years by the time I apply). I don't have any yet, but of course I'm hoping to rack up a bunch of hours of shadowing. I'll also need to do several hundred hours of hospital rotations in the process of becoming a paramedic so hopefully that is viewed favorably.

I feel that I should pick up another EC, probably volunteering of some sort? maybe kill a few birds with one stone and figure out a way to do something useful/impactful in a healthcare/hospital setting?

Thoughts? Sorry for this being a bit difficult to parse and not just a list of "X hours doing X"...
Your ECs are more than good, I barely did anything and got accepted.

OP
B
Oct 9, 2013
Status
Your ECs are good. I would add shadowing and clinical volunteering
Your ECs are more than good, I barely did anything and got accepted.
Thanks, I guess I was just feeling a bit under par after reading all the things other people do. I feel I have a lot of depth in the ECs I do, but when you write them down on a list they don't take up a whole lot of space.

I'll add in some shadowing and start clinical volunteering asap, and start worrying more about the MCAT instead...!

Reactions: stlrams22
Jan 18, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
Yep, dedication and Long term commitment to single good ec > multiple average applicant ecs. Will you get to work any as an EMT? If so, then maybe a little shadowing with some family docs is all you need, since your job will be clinical. If no clinical experience, then yes, add some clinical volunteering. Good luck and do your best!

Jewels86

5+ Year Member
Apr 7, 2013
Texas
Status
Pre-Medical
Since EMT's bring me pt's (I'm an ED nurse), I see exactly what you do. With that, I think that EC is great (I'm still working on my coursework though). You deal with the same stuff I deal with except you're like a loving grandparent; you pick and drop them off and let us deal with rest :) BTW: are you a Basic or Intermediate? Perhaps getting the intermediate will help you discern if you'd like to be an ED doc since you can intubate with the intermediate.

Hope you get in!! Love the music portion!! I've always wanted to do that. Needs to go on the bucket list ;)