Non-trad Finance, hoping to get into Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Umoja

Reaction score
Hello, for the last ten years, I've been thinking about getting into medicine while pursuing a career in Finance. This year, it became painfully obvious that I was not enjoying what I was doing and I finally made the decision to start my journey towards becoming a doctor. I graduated from college with a 3.0 GPA in Economics and never took any classes in the sciences. I'm looking into getting a second bachelors degree in biochemistry or molecular biology and then putting in an application into medical school. Outside of academics, what other areas should I potentially look into to help prepare me for a career in medicine? I plan on starting my second bachelor's degree September of next year....I'm sure it will probably take me 10 years to accomplish my dream of becoming a doctor. I'll be attending school in Canada.

Members don't see this ad.

You don't need to do a full bachelor's degree in order to get the prereqs done. You can look at career changer post-bacc programs that will probably be 2 years and will get all your prereqs and some upper division sciences courses in.

Are you planning on applying to US medical schools? If so, I would strongly recommend you go to a US institution if you have the choice. It will make your journey a lot more straightforward.

Besides academics, you need to work to get:

A good MCAT score (after the prereqs are done)
Clinical experience (volunteer or paid)
Non-clinical volunteer experience

In addition, these are also helpful but aren't as important as the above:
Research
Leadership experience in different roles

It may take 3-4 years to do all these things, so definitely be patient and ensure that you get all A's in whatever courses you take and maximize your MCAT score before you take it, because you should plan to take it only one time.