Non-trad FNP with any chance of getting in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Natyloo

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a Family Nurse Practitioner that really wants to (finally) attend med school. I diverted my plan due to a miserable UG GPA (in '97). I went to a difficult school, loaded on too many science classes every semester, was extremely immature and ate a ton of humble pie no longer being the top dog at school and graduated with a 2.2 GPA. I took classes at the community college, and subsequently went to nursing school and graduated with a 3.8, then grad school and graduated as a nurse practitioner (2012) with a 4.0. I obviously grew up. I've been practicing in an urgent care and emergency room setting, but I want to practice without doc supervision and with a much greater understanding of medicine. I don't know if I'd ever get in, but I feel like I can't let this rest.

I've reached out to several local med schools to see if I could meet with an admissions counselor to give me some direction of whether to begin with MCATs, or if I need to overhaul my UG GPA despite my UG nursing and NP courses/experience. But, no one is willing to provide that service.

Any advice? I really don't care if I'm too old, my GPA was too low, etc . . . I practice in the field of medicine & I am certain this is the path I want to take. I just need a plan and don't exactly know where to begin.

Members don't see this ad.

What is your actual undergraduate gpa? (Nursing classes count, graduate nursing classes don’t)

If it’s >3.0 and you slam-dunk an MCAT you could probably put together an interesting app.

Just be prepared to answer the question of why isn’t nursing “good enough” a hundred times.

(Which is patronizing and unprofessional as ****, but folks don’t see that side of it.)

Reactions: 1 users
What is your actual undergraduate gpa? (Nursing classes count, graduate nursing classes don’t)

If it’s >3.0 and you slam-dunk an MCAT you could probably put together an interesting app.

Just be prepared to answer the question of why isn’t nursing “good enough” a hundred times.

(Which is patronizing and unprofessional as ****, but folks don’t see that side of it.)

Thanks so much for your reply. How do they calculate my UG gpa with 2 bachelors and some community college classes? Just an average of everything or only average the 2 bachelors degree grades? Thx

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks so much for your reply. How do they calculate my UG gpa with 2 bachelors and some community college classes? Just an average of everything or only average the 2 bachelors degree grades? Thx

I don’t have the community college transcripts, but my 2 UG GPAs average to only 2.7 since my first UG was so ridiculously low.

I've improved the AMCAS/AACOMAS GPA Calculator Spreadsheet

^You can use something like above to calculate your GPA. You are going to need copies of all transcripts when you apply, but that's farther down the road. If your GPA is below 3.0 then perhaps a structured SMP is something for you? Others on the boards will have better advice for you. I wouldn't think of the MCAT yet. Work on seeing how to fix your GPA and then go from there.

I don’t have the community college transcripts, but my 2 UG GPAs average to only 2.7 since my first UG was so ridiculously low.
Get the community college transcripts, all the undergrad credits get thrown in a pot for the gpa

What is the answer to the “why med school when you already have an NP license?”

Reactions: 2 users
There are so many new D.O. school open now, as long as you can score above 500 on MCAT, you should get in somewhere

Reactions: 1 user
Get the community college transcripts, all the undergrad credits get thrown in a pot for the gpa

What is the answer to the “why med school when you already have an NP license?”

Thanks for your response. Requested the CC transcripts today. I haven't formally created an answer to that question yet, but in a nutshell, an NP gives me the capability to assess, diagnose and treat my patients in VA, but all under an MD's supervision. I don't have the autonomy that I would like in the ER setting, and I don't have near the expertise in anatomy, phys, patho, etc that compliments critical thinking in the high acuity ED patients that I love to be involved in. Everything an NP learns is from her nursing experience plus a few hundred hours of clinicals . . . and while that might be fitting for primary care for the worried well, I feel a disconnect between the care I long to give and the care I'm currently able to give (without leaning on an MD at times) for those with higher acuity. I don't know if that's a "good" answer, but it's the way I feel.

Thanks for your response. Requested the CC transcripts today. I haven't formally created an answer to that question yet, but in a nutshell, an NP gives me the capability to assess, diagnose and treat my patients in VA, but all under an MD's supervision. I don't have the autonomy that I would like in the ER setting, and I don't have near the expertise in anatomy, phys, patho, etc that compliments critical thinking in the high acuity ED patients that I love to be involved in. Everything an NP learns is from her nursing experience plus a few hundred hours of clinicals . . . and while that might be fitting for primary care for the worried well, I feel a disconnect between the care I long to give and the care I'm currently able to give (without leaning on an MD at times) for those with higher acuity. I don't know if that's a "good" answer, but it's the way I feel.
You’re going to tell a doc (potentially FM) interviewing you that an NP is good enough to do primary care?

You’re going to tell a doc (potentially FM) interviewing you that an NP is good enough to do primary care?

For once, can we not?!

There are so many new D.O. school open now, as long as you can score above 500 on MCAT, you should get in somewhere

Hmm

I'm sure whatever I say will ruffle feathers somewhere & somehow. But I'm a damn good FNP that did a damn good job in primary care and all of the docs I practice with will vouch and have vouched for that. I can't speak to any other NP's training . . .

For once, can we not?!
They are applying to a med school and I stand by my concern for their statement and it’s potential to turn off interviewers.....know your audience OP

They are applying to a med school and I stand by my concern for their statement and it’s potential to turn off interviewers.....know your audience OP

I was at a medical school interview yesterday.
It just so happens that I was interviewed by Family Practice Faculty.

That person was a midlevel. She has been with the University nearly 2 decades, and probably knows more about primary care than most.

Knowing one's role is important, but OP has not shown any sign that they do not.

Members don't see this ad :)

That person was a midlevel. She has been with the University nearly 2 decades, and probably knows more about primary care than most.

Knowing one's role is important, but OP has not shown any sign that they do not.
It’s your application, op....I tried to help....you do you

I think the GPA makes it an uphill climb.

I’m surprised no admissions offices would meet with you. That is how I started my process and didn’t have any issues.

From a global perspective, admitting NPs or PAs to medical school doesn’t seem like an efficient use of resources since they are already treating patients and those medical school slots will be filled no matter what. Not sure how prevalent this thought process is, but if an ADCOM (esp at a state school) is tasked with a mission of maximizing providers in their region, it might be a hard sell.

Reactions: 2 users

Congrats on your interview. I hope everything works out in your favor! I'm very excited for you! I hope you keep us posted on your progress.

Honestly, don't sweat the "why" question so much. I applied after greater than a decade of being a midlevel. It rarely came up. When it did, it was only in passing because the doc interviewing me was a former midlevel or had a friend that made this change. I went on 8 interviews, accepted at 6, WL at 1, gleefully not accepted at 1. Decided to attend my state allopathic school. If you are where you are, you have a life story to tell and that's what the interview will focus on. That's my experience, and I'm simply not a unique person.

Honestly, don't sweat the "why" question so much. I applied after greater than a decade of being a midlevel. It rarely came up. When it did, it was only in passing because the doc interviewing me was a former midlevel or had a friend that made this change. I went on 8 interviews, accepted at 6, WL at 1, gleefully not accepted at 1. Decided to attend my state allopathic school. If you are where you are, you have a life story to tell and that's what the interview will focus on. That's my experience, and I'm simply not a unique person.

Wow, congratulations! I did not realize this path was travelled by several! I often run across nurses to MD/DOs, but it’s very comforting to know more mid-levels made the transition. Thank you

I’d Leave out the last little tidbit about how NP May be fine for PC. I’m NOT saying it isn’t in the slightest and am not trying to cast dispersions on NPs at all. I am concerned though that if you’re gonna be applying primarily DO, the vast majority of those institutions have a huge PC commitment, and in fact more DOs do end up in PC than not. The first part about wanting to pursue greater mastery of the sciences is perfect, the last bit concerning the NP in a PC position is at best unnecessary IMO.

I actually think you’d have a shot with your present Ugpa if you have a solid mcat (508+) at some of athe newer DO schools. Check out the Osteopathic Under dawgs thread.. a lot of people on there had lower gpas but acceptances. If it were me, I’d start with taking the mcat, assuming you have all pre reqs dome. If not, finish the pre reqs, then take mcat, and pending mcat, make your next move.

I’d Leave out the last little tidbit about how NP May be fine for PC. I’m NOT saying it isn’t in the slightest and am not trying to cast dispersions on NPs at all. I am concerned though that if you’re gonna be applying primarily DO, the vast majority of those institutions have a huge PC commitment, and in fact more DOs do end up in PC than not. The first part about wanting to pursue greater mastery of the sciences is perfect, the last bit concerning the NP in a PC position is at best unnecessary IMO.

I actually think you’d have a shot with your present Ugpa if you have a solid mcat (508+) at some of athe newer DO schools. Check out the Osteopathic Under dawgs thread.. a lot of people on there had lower gpas but acceptances. If it were me, I’d start with taking the mcat, assuming you have all pre reqs dome. If not, finish the pre reqs, then take mcat, and pending mcat, make your next move.

Thanks so much for the guidance. I can completely understand your point. I think the key if that question comes up would be to focus on the MD/DO role and expertise, which is in fact why I want to pursue med school. I don't think I'll win any battles by discussing one profession versus the other. I was looking at some MCAT materials today wondering if I should just bear down and study and take it, so your advice is timely and much appreciated. I need to do some research as to which study materials have been most beneficial for others.

Thanks so much for the guidance. I can completely understand your point. I think the key if that question comes up would be to focus on the MD/DO role and expertise, which is in fact why I want to pursue med school. I don't think I'll win any battles by discussing one profession versus the other. I was looking at some MCAT materials today wondering if I should just bear down and study and take it, so your advice is timely and much appreciated. I need to do some research as to which study materials have been most beneficial for others.

I loved the Princeton review. AAMC practice questions are expensive but such good practice. I also used khan academy vids sporadically to supplement areas I struggled in. Good luckOP.

Hi! Sorry to revive this thread, but can you elaborate a bit on this? Would saying that NPs are okay for PC be a jab at them by implying that they are not built for a hospital environment? Or is it a jab against PC in general?

Many thanks!

Hi! Sorry to revive this thread, but can you elaborate a bit on this? Would saying that NPs are okay for PC be a jab at them by implying that they are not built for a hospital environment? Or is it a jab against PC in general?

Many thanks!
Do you think midlevels are interchangeable in terms of independence for practicing primary care medicine? And then answer the same question for any other kind of medicine....

Do you think midlevels are interchangeable in terms of independence for practicing primary care medicine? And then answer the same question for any other kind of medicine....
Mmm. OK, I think I see what you mean.

The decade that this is going to take and the $500,000 -$1,000,000 in actual and opportunity costs frankly aren’t worth it at this point.

I agree. I am a family nurse practitioner and trying to go to medical school. I work I primary care and still have a desire to learn more to better care for my patients. We do not just see “worried well” patients. We have very high acuity patients as well. I worked in the ED as a nurse and many times it is low acuity patients.

Life is not all about opportunity costs... just mostly. If you are serious and don’t care that it doesn’t work out financially... move to Texas and fresh start.

Isnt it though? On one hand they'll blast the hell out of NPs, "How dare they want to independently practice (not disagreeing with this sentiment)" and then on the other hand "Well you're an NP/RN why do you want to be a doctor?"

Kinda answered your own question there smokey.