[Non-Trad] High UG GPA, Low Master's GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zwiz

Reaction score
Hi fellow SDNers,

Long time lurker, but first time poster! I'm planning to apply the following summer, and I wanted to gauge how adcoms may view a low master's GPA (3.5) when combined with a relatively high UG cGPA (3.85+) and UG sGPA(3.95). I am particularly interested in the top 20 schools, but in the end, I would be lucky to get into any medical school at all.

A little background info:
UG Major: Chemical Engineering (state school with a top engineering program)
Grad Major: Chemical Engineering (MIT)
MCAT: 524+
ECs (research, volunteering, shadowing, etc...): Very Good (imo)
LORs: Very Good (imo)

Due to an unexpected parent and grandparent passing away during my first two semesters at MIT, I basically spiraled into a deep-seated depression that I am still just coming out of now. That combined with the fact that ChemE graduate classes at MIT are extremely difficult with a harsh curve led me to sink to a relatively low gGPA. I did have a decent turnaround in my 3rd semester, which I completed with a 4.0. Also, I have a relatively unique volunteering/service experience that resulted from all of this.

If you have any advice or have experience with this unique case, please let me know. Is there any place on the application form to explain this matter? (I realize this sounds a bit silly)

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
As @gonnif said, you should be fine, so don't stress.

On an unrelated (somewhat, not really) topic: I'm curious though, were you not initially interested in medicine? Given your stats and MCAT, you could have gone directly from ugrad. Interesting that you pursued a Master's degree first.

Members don't see this ad :)
As @gonnif said, you should be fine, so don't stress.

On an unrelated (somewhat, not really) topic: I'm curious though, were you not initially interested in medicine? Given your stats and MCAT, you could have gone directly from ugrad. Interesting that you pursued a Master's degree first.

Thanks! It was more of a green card issue that led me to seek a Master’s degree in ChemE. I didn’t have a GC coming out of UG and wanted to seek further higher education to get access to (1) free education with a stipend, (2) research access, and (3) a solid fall-back career pathway. I wasn’t actually sure when my GC was going to arrive, so working as an engineer was my interim option. I got it now though.

3.5 in ChemE at MIT? Enjoy med school good sir

Reactions: 1 users