DO Non-trad-looking for thoughts/advice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HMtoDO

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, thanks for taking a look and I will try to make this short and to the point.

Graduated high school, went to college for a few years and didn't do well. Joined the military as a Navy Corpsman. Active duty for 8 years. Combat medic with 2 deployments to Afghanistan with USMC infantry. Also 2 yrs working in family medicine and 2 years working in anesthesia.

I then decided I wanted to pursue medical school. Started going back to school doing all prereqs. Did a bunch of retakes and pulled my grades up and graduated with my BA summa cum laude. My last ~ 90 credits are at a ~3.9.

cGPA - 3.23 and sGPA - 3.72.
1st MCAT (2015) - 488. Took a year off to figure out my deficits and worked on test anxiety
2nd MCAT (2016) - 506

Im applying broadly. MA resident. I can elaborate if there are questions but my story is long as I am now 30, so I wanted to be as concise as possible. Thanks for the help. @Goro your wisdom is highly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

First off, many thanks for your service to our country!

I recommend:

U MA
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Rochester
Rush
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
MCW
VCU
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
Tulane
Loyola
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Oakland-B
Any DO program, starting with UNECOM, PCOM and NYITCOM. I can't recommend Touro-NY, LUCOM or Wm Carey, for different reasons

Hey everyone, thanks for taking a look and I will try to make this short and to the point.

Graduated high school, went to college for a few years and didn't do well. Joined the military as a Navy Corpsman. Active duty for 8 years. Combat medic with 2 deployments to Afghanistan with USMC infantry. Also 2 yrs working in family medicine and 2 years working in anesthesia.

I then decided I wanted to pursue medical school. Started going back to school doing all prereqs. Did a bunch of retakes and pulled my grades up and graduated with my BA summa cum laude. My last ~ 90 credits are at a ~3.9.

cGPA - 3.23 and sGPA - 3.72.
1st MCAT (2015) - 488. Took a year off to figure out my deficits and worked on test anxiety
2nd MCAT (2016) - 506

Im applying broadly. MA resident. I can elaborate if there are questions but my story is long as I am now 30, so I wanted to be as concise as possible. Thanks for the help. @Goro your wisdom is highly appreciated!

Thanks for your quick response and feedback! I should clarify that those GPA's are my AACOMAS verified GPA's. Though I have not applied through AMCAS as of now, my calculations show a cGPA: 2.96 and sGPA (BCPM): 3.36.

Given that, along with my poor first MCAT result as well as being this late in the MD cycle is it worth still signing up and applying through AMCAS?

I have 17 DO schools that I just dropped an application for and I am hoping that I get some love even with my lower than average GPA's and poor first MCAT. Do you think I should be okay on the DO side still? Thanks again for your help not only for me but in this community as well!

First off, many thanks for your service to our country!

I recommend:

U MA
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Rochester
Rush
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
MCW
VCU
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
Tulane
Loyola
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Oakland-B
Any DO program, starting with UNECOM, PCOM and NYITCOM. I can't recommend Touro-NY, LUCOM or Wm Carey, for different reasons

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that your service and the better results the 2nd time make it worth applying to U MA. Skip the other MD schools. You're fine for DO.

Thanks for your quick response and feedback! I should clarify that those GPA's are my AACOMAS verified GPA's. Though I have not applied through AMCAS as of now, my calculations show a cGPA: 2.96 and sGPA (BCPM): 3.36.

Given that, along with my poor first MCAT result as well as being this late in the MD cycle is it worth still signing up and applying through AMCAS?

I have 17 DO schools that I just dropped an application for and I am hoping that I get some love even with my lower than average GPA's and poor first MCAT. Do you think I should be okay on the DO side still? Thanks again for your help not only for me but in this community as well!

I've read about the overbooking fiasco with Touro NY an LUCOM's religous focus. But out of curiosity, what happened with Wm Carey?

Thank you for your advice and feedback!

I think that your service and the better results the 2nd time make it worth applying to U MA. Skip the other MD schools. You're fine for DO.