Non trad low gpa, high MCAT, where to apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dbr5353

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
More than 10 years ago I was a terrible undergrad, I've since had several careers, and recently became a paramedic, which feels like a calling, so I've done the pre-med courses.
cGPA 3.2
sGPA 4.0
MCAT 524
I have no idea if or where I might be competitive with those stats. Any advice would be really appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
More than 10 years ago I was a terrible undergrad, I've since had several careers, and recently became a paramedic, which feels like a calling, so I've done the pre-med courses.
cGPA 3.2
sGPA 4.0
MCAT 524
I have no idea if or where I might be competitive with those stats. Any advice would be really appreciated.

I think with an sGPA, MCAT, and a diverse background like that the sky's the limit! Apply anywhere you like. Good luck!!

Reactions: 1 users
cGPA 3.2
sGPA 4.0
MCAT 524
Yes, you'll be competitive at many places. Probably even ivy league. I imagine with stats like that, history and a story, they'll jump at the chance to get a well rounded nontraditional student.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Ivy League is jumping a little bit ahead. Remember that those who apply to top 10 medical schools virtually have perfect apps. High cGPA/sGPA, amazing MCAT, consistent philanthropic volunteering, clinical experience, research, etc. Unless you have all of that, I’d suggest applying to schools like:
Jefferson
Temple
Wayne
Drexel
Albany University
Indiana University

Thanks for the feedback everyone! Can I ask what makes those schools good options?

I'm starting over with a second bachelor's, but assuming great outcomes like this poster here (just for sake of premise), what are some other good schools in New York City or New York State for this scenario of low cGPA?