MD & DO Non-Trad low GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nontrad89

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
You really need to buy the MSAR and use that for a reality check (which sounds really snide but I don't mean it to). The reason I say that is you are VERY unrealistic about Dartmouth, GW, Georgetown.

I, myself, have a TERRIBLE ugrad GPA, so it's not like I do not understand your pain. I do!!

Have you taken post-bacc, upper division science courses that show you can compete with the other students, ala: get an A? Get a few of those and you may be more competitive for MD but without that, I don't think a 510 MCAT with the rest of your stats is going to work for MD at this time.

So, what can you do?

Take UD science courses. Get involved in MORE volunteering and clinical - LOTS more; I don't know that I would retake a 510 MCAT but I would look into more science courses and I would wait a year.

Reactions: 1 users
Applying to the vast majority of those MD schools with those stats will be a waste of time and money. Dartmouth, Brown, Georgetown, GW, etc. are pretty competitive as it is even with solid stats (>3.8 gpa, >508 mcat). I'd shoot for DO's or possibly lower tier MD's after some stat-boosting.

Also, I don't mean to sound rude, but sometimes you just have to take a moment to self-reflect. Aiming high and being ambitious is my motto, but you should also have realistic expectations. Can you be the outlier on all these admission stats? Sure, but for your own mental health's sake don't expect to be that outlier.

Edit: Even if they're 10+ years old from high school, a lot of schools automatically screen out applications with GPA's that low.

Reactions: 1 users