Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

Non-trad needs advice -- a 5th semester of post-bac?

Discussion in 'Nontraditional Students' started by Saylor, May 21, 2014.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. Saylor

Saylor

Pre-Medical
    I just completed two years of an unofficial post-bac. The first year was bad - 3.1 gpa with only 1 A. It was part time -- I took 15 credits over the course of 2 semesters while working. The second year I quit work and committed full time. The first semester was great with a 3.75 and I felt really good. But the second semester was 3.46. In one particular class, a % grade that usually curves to an A or A- in other classes resulted in a B+ because the teacher didn't apply a curve, despite numerous students' complaints. I was expecting an A or A- and, accordingly, a 3.6 to 3.75 gpa, and when I saw my gpa last week I was crushed.

My undergraduate sgpa/cgpa was 2.97/3.31. I currently stand at 3.25/3.36 w/ post-bac factored in. I don't feel great about my chances. The only thing I had going for me was the strong upward trend in post-bac second year, but I feel like I destroyed it by not getting an A in that one class. I feel confident that I can now handle biological sciences, but I don't feel my gpa reflects that yet.

I'm 31 and not getting any younger. I already never planned on taking a 2nd post-bac year much less a 3rd. Should I take a 5th semester of post-bac or would it be too desperate and/or costly (time-wise)?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. theseeker4

theseeker4 PGY 1 5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Verified
    Physician
    Have you taken your MCAT yet? If now, when are you planning to do so? Your GPA is probably good enough for most DO schools if you have a decent MCAT score. Your GPA is probably NOT enough to get you into MD schools, even with a good MCAT.

If you don't have a score in hand, you are running out of time to apply this cycle at all anyway...if that is the case, why not further improve your GPA by taking more post-bac classes, since you are not applying anyway?

4. Saylor

Saylor

Pre-Medical
    Taking MCATs in July; wanted to give myself time to study for it but realize it was probably bad with rolling applications.

5. Goro

Goro 5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Verified
    Faculty
    Sometime you have to try applying, warts and all, and see how you do. Your numbers are fine for DO programs, but I suspect you might be too uneven for MD programs. And most importantly, drop the business of "The prof didn't curve, so I lost my A". We don't care if the prof was mean or nice, was hard or easy, or curved or didn't curve. That is on you.

6. Saylor

Saylor

Pre-Medical
    I took responsibility for the B+ in my second paragraph and don't appreciate being lectured. The purpose behind the anecdote was to communicate the vicissitudes and frustration of how I arrived at my conundrum: I feel I can do science now, thought everything was going well, then an unexpectedly poor letter grade for an 88% average in a class in which I was considerably above the mean leads me to wonder if I should commit to an entire yearlong delay on account of a single course. Thank you for the nonjudgmental portions of your response, however.

Last edited: May 21, 2014

About the ads