Non-trad paramedic in a new B.S. Program, do I still have a chance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EPMD

Life...its what you make it
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have read some posts similar to mine, but with some mixed answers so I figured I would ask for myself. I am currently working towards completing my B.S. in Biotechnology at Miami Dade College. The program is very new but also has a lot of very good press and accolades from the academic community. Many of my professors were or currently are professors at the big local universities (UM, FIU, FAU). I have also been a FF/Paramedic for 5 years (at the time of this post) and have a very well decorated career in my short time in the bussiness (ACLS, PALS, BLS instrucotr, medical training officer). My question is whether or not I am waisting my time trying to get into a Florida MD or DO program?

Stats:

1)Started out as a Chemical Engineering Major at Florida Institute of Technology
Calc 1 = C
Chem 1 = C
Intro to CHM Eng = A
ENC1101 = C
Economics = B
Then I withdrew from my classes the next semster so I have 5 W's

2) A.S in Biology 3.56 GPA
Bio 1 = A
Bio 2 = A
Chem 2 = A
Physics 1 = A
Physics 2 = A
ENC 1102 = A
Childhood dep = A
CGS 1001 = D then got an A (don't ask, dumb ass attack)
Satistics = A
World History = B
Philosphy =A
Anatomy 1 = A
Anatomy 2 = B
and the rest of my humanities were all A's
3) Biotechnology B.S.
Organic 1 = A
Biotechnology 1 = A

Still need to take :
Organic 2
Molecular Cell Bio
Genetics
Evolution
Biotech 2
Biotech 3
Bio seminar
Senior Research Project (probably at UM Research Center for Paralysis)
Immunology

Current Cummulative is a 3.57 GPA

I voulnteer when I can with Habitat for Hummanity and with my Fire Department Benevolent association. I do health screenings, BP checks, 12 leads, glucose checks ect.

I have not shadowed yet but I will start to shadow soon (once my youngest is old enough for day care in a few months).

Also I am married and have two small children (4 and 8 mo) . I don't know how much the ADCOMS will hold that against me. I will turn 27 in June.

I know that Florida is a competitive state and that by going to MDC I am at a disadvantage to students froma university. But I think that if my MCAT is strong I can show the ADCOMS that I have a somewhat equal education level with university grads. My worry is that I don't have a strong enough package to present to them, and I just need some guidance as to how I can make myself more presentable. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I have read some posts similar to mine, but with some mixed answers so I figured I would ask for myself. I am currently working towards completing my B.S. in Biotechnology at Miami Dade College. The program is very new but also has a lot of very good press and accolades from the academic community. Many of my professors were or currently are professors at the big local universities (UM, FIU, FAU). I have also been a FF/Paramedic for 5 years (at the time of this post) and have a very well decorated career in my short time in the bussiness (ACLS, PALS, BLS instrucotr, medical training officer). My question is whether or not I am waisting my time trying to get into a Florida MD or DO program?

Stats:

1)Started out as a Chemical Engineering Major at Florida Institute of Technology
Calc 1 = C
Chem 1 = C
Intro to CHM Eng = A
ENC1101 = C
Economics = B
Then I withdrew from my classes the next semster so I have 5 W's

2) A.S in Biology 3.56 GPA
Bio 1 = A
Bio 2 = A
Chem 2 = A
Physics 1 = A
Physics 2 = A
ENC 1102 = A
Childhood dep = A
CGS 1001 = D then got an A (don't ask, dumb ass attack)
Satistics = A
World History = B
Philosphy =A
Anatomy 1 = A
Anatomy 2 = B
and the rest of my humanities were all A's
3) Biotechnology B.S.
Organic 1 = A
Biotechnology 1 = A

Still need to take :
Organic 2
Molecular Cell Bio
Genetics
Evolution
Biotech 2
Biotech 3
Bio seminar
Senior Research Project (probably at UM Research Center for Paralysis)
Immunology

Current Cummulative is a 3.57 GPA

I voulnteer when I can with Habitat for Hummanity and with my Fire Department Benevolent association. I do health screenings, BP checks, 12 leads, glucose checks ect.

I have not shadowed yet but I will start to shadow soon (once my youngest is old enough for day care in a few months).

Also I am married and have two small children (4 and 8 mo) . I don't know how much the ADCOMS will hold that against me. I will turn 27 in June.

I know that Florida is a competitive state and that by going to MDC I am at a disadvantage to students froma university. But I think that if my MCAT is strong I can show the ADCOMS that I have a somewhat equal education level with university grads. My worry is that I don't have a strong enough package to present to them, and I just need some guidance as to how I can make myself more presentable. Thanks in advance.

I have a similar background to you, but my academic history is a bit more "haggard" if you will. I am a few years ahead of you in the process, but I'd say you definitely have a chance.

I originally, way back when, thought I would try to finish a nursing degree while still doing shift work, ended up with too many w's to count (8 total I think) forgot to drop a semester and got 4 f's, and the classes I did pass were c's and b's.

This was over 5 years ago. When I decided that going to medical school was truly what I wanted, it was after a few years of maturation, some time overseas, and too much life experience to include here.

When I did start back, I had no credits to transfer to my BS in Biology, so I was starting from scratch. I started in March of 2011, and finish my bachelor's this May. I haven't had a semester with less than 17 hours, and took 26 hours over one summer at two different schools, 23 hours this semester, etc. No c's or d's to be seen since my comeback, and more a's than b's.

Anyway, I am not trying to make this about me, but what I am trying to say is that if you expect to make a comeback, it needs to be noticeable. Simply coming back to school and performing the way you were supposed to originally just doesn't cut it. The expectations are higher for you the second time around.

I just got accepted to a post bacc program, which was my plan all along, and if I continue this trend, I previous student experience from this post bacc program indicates that I should be a strong contender for a spot in the medical school class entering in June of 2014.

All of this is to say...bust your butt, continue doing better than average, consider a post bacc if necessary, and look for schools that are friendly to non-trads. Schools with a reputation for accepting non-trad students tend to suck up paramedics (from my anecdotal experience anyway.)

Your grades and GPA look really good.

Short answer, you have a good shot...provided you are legit and don't screw up.

WTEngel, Thanks for the support and much respect for the accomplishments you have made so far. I agree I need to make my comeback spectacular, so that is why I am trying to do everything I can to get as many A's in high quality upper level classes as I can. A postbac at FIU might be an option for me, but depending on how I do on the MCAT I might just go for it and apply (2015-2016 at the rate I am going). Thanks again for the hope.

Any other suggestions out there from the SDN community?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a similar background to you, but my academic history is a bit more "haggard" if you will.

+1 on the more "haggard" academic history. WTEngel put it best... don't screw up on your comeback. That sounds like a lot, but you have solid stats (depending on how long ago it was, the D and the W's may not be too big of an issue if you deliver with smashing current grades) and backing them up with awesome current grades and strong MCAT will make your app really solid. Don't be afraid to apply everywhere and don't let anyone tell you you're wasting your time.

I don't think being married with kids will be held against you, but I know that the AMCAS app has very little space to discuss your marital status or dependents. In essence, it doesn't get brought up unless you bring it up. I remember being really nervous about it initially, but at my most recent interview, it was known that my husband was in town with me. And it didn't impact a thing.

In my case my cumulative is sitting at 3.0 because I decided I should work to pay my way through an Engineering undergrad. I never thought, at that point in my life, that I would do medicine and I was pleased as pie to have finished a competitive program, while paying my way through.

Now it has become one of my biggest handicaps. Trust me, you are doing great.

It was my biggest handicap, too. Worked all through college and dealt with a lot of family issues, which left a lot of ugly dings on the ol' transcript (same cumulative GPA and I assume that you're better at math than I was... my BCPM was fugly thanks to calc/physics/p-chem). I talked a lot about how those issues taught me the skills that make me a better student today and a better physician in the future. Then, backed it up with some crazy post-bacc grades.

You can do it!!