SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Non-Trad Reapplicant: sciGPA 3.88, cGPA 3.4; MCAT 33 (13/9/11) – School List Advice!

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by Diamond Clouds, May 18, 2014.

1. Diamond Clouds

Diamond Clouds 2+ Year Member

May 18, 2014
    Hello all, I’m hoping to get some feedback on my school list for this upcoming cycle. Thanks in advance!

CA resident. Had a rocky journey during undergrad academically, due to immaturity etc etc. Graduated business with a 3.0. During my post-bacc, I got my act together and brought my cGPA up to 3.4 (post bacc cGPA/sciGPA: 3.9). I was waitlisted when I last applied. Retook MCAT since then (previous score 27: 11/7/9), jumping up 6 points overall

Here’s a profile snapshot without too much detail (I marked what’s new since last application)

Medical Work experience:
    -(new) Medical assistant at an allergy, asthma and immunology clinic (~8 months to date) – Full time
    -(new) Research coordinator in Global Health focused on the Philippines (~9 months to date) – Part time
    -Laboratory assistant (~2 years) in an orthopaedic surgical training lab – Part time
    -Research assistant in orthopaedics (~1.5 – 2 years): Multiple conference abstracts and (new) a journal publication – Part time
    -Caregiver / Admin Assistant (~9 years off and on) at my family business of residential home care for the mentally disabled, dual diagnosed and high-behavioral, dual diagnosed (eg: depression and schizophrenia)

Past Work experience:
    -Human Resources coordinator (~2-3 years)

EC:
    -Volunteering: both medical and non-medical (many years)
    -Clinical internship at an urgent care and occupational health clinic (2 months)
    -Shadowing: multiple specialties (some new since last cycle)
    -2 professional fraternities (business and community service) with leadership roles
    -Leadership roles in my undergrad Filipino-American organization
    -Retreat leader

SCHOOL LIST
    -UC Davis* (Interviewed)
    -UC Irvine*
    -Loma Linda*
    -USC/Keck*
    -George Washington*
    -Georgetown*
    -U Miami*
    -FIU*
    -Rosalind Franklin*
    -Tulane
    -Tufts
    -SLU*
    -NYMC*
    -Einstein*
    -Case Western
    -Drexel* (Waitlisted)
    -Temple
    -Jefferson*
    -Utah
    -Wake Forest
    -UCSF*
    -UCLA*
    -UCSD*
    -NYU

Edit 1: * = applied last cycle

Last edited: May 18, 2014
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. gyngyn

gyngyn Professor Moderator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 5+ Year Member

Nov 4, 2011
    Alta California
    Could you indicate to which of these you are a re-applicant (asterisk) and where you were interviewed?
    I suppose you are aware of LL's behavior policies?

4. Diamond Clouds

May 18, 2014
    @gyngyn Yes, I'm aware. I don't think it'll be a problem for me though. (please see edits to original post)

5. gyngyn

gyngyn Professor Moderator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 5+ Year Member

Nov 4, 2011
    Alta California
    And, to clarify, you applied with a 27 and a 3.0 that round.
    Now you have a 33 and 3.4.

6. Diamond Clouds

May 18, 2014
    No, I haven't taken any classes since (by that point I took about a year full-time of only upper div science classes). So last cycle: 27; cGPA 3.4; sciGPA 3.88. This cycle: 33, cGPA 3.4, sciGPA 3.88 and 2 new significant work experiences.

7. gyngyn

Nov 4, 2011
    Alta California
    How many schools would you like to delete (if any).

8. Diamond Clouds

May 18, 2014
    Thanks so much for your help, gyngyn! I don't think I'll delete any, I want to cast a wide net. Given my stats, I'm not sure if should add more or simply replace some with others (eg - if some on my list are not worth it)

9. gyngyn

Nov 4, 2011
    Alta California
    Replace: NYU (stats) and USC (Stats and re-ap) . You probably know that the UC's are a reach, but I know you can't resist. At least replace GT and GW with good stat matches that don't get 12K+ applications!

10. Diamond Clouds

May 18, 2014
    Great point re: GT/GW. Yes, my advisor says the same about the UCs… and yes, as a CA resident I can't resist! MSAR will be my buddy. Thanks again, appreciate your input!

11. gyngyn

Nov 4, 2011
    Alta California
    I was the same way.
    Let us know how it goes!

Last edited: May 20, 2014
  12. Goro

Goro Faculty 7+ Year Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Somewhere west of St. Louis

13. Diamond Clouds

May 18, 2014