Non-trad Research Engineer with an MS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AFSpecialSauce

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Like the rest I'm trying to figure out my chances...

I am a former Air Force Officer, now civilian, with a BS in Electrical Engineering (~3.4GPA) and have a MS in Engineering Management (~3.9GPA). I am also 29 but have spent the last 8+ years as a researcher at the Air Force Research Laboratory. My research time has been split between sensor technology and leading research in the Human Effectiveness Directorate. The Human Effectiveness Directorate is where the Air Force does all of its human focused research and is home to the Air Force's School of Aerospace Medicine.

I hope to get into a good enough school to become competitive for a Radiology program.

I still need to do some of the pre-reqs, and take the MCAT but wanted to ask what my chances are as a very non-traditional student.

Members don't see this ad.

Like the rest I'm trying to figure out my chances...

I am a former Air Force Officer, now civilian, with a BS in Electrical Engineering (~3.4GPA) and have a MS in Engineering Management (~3.9GPA). I am also 29 but have spent the last 8+ years as a researcher at the Air Force Research Laboratory. My research time has been split between sensor technology and leading research in the Human Effectiveness Directorate. The Human Effectiveness Directorate is where the Air Force does all of its human focused research and is home to the Air Force's School of Aerospace Medicine.

I hope to get into a good enough school to become competitive for a Radiology program.

I still need to do some of the pre-reqs, and take the MCAT but wanted to ask what my chances are as a very non-traditional student.
Your chances depend on your MCAT score, how high your BCPM GPA will be, and how well you develop the rest of the usual and customary ECs. A 3.4 undergrad GPA isn't terrific, but isn't terrible either. A higher than usual MCAT score and a string of As in the upcoming science classes, along with your nontrad status, strong research, and exmilitary status would all contribute to giving you a decent chance. Your chances would be better yet if you include some DO schools on your application list.

And BTW, you can become sufficiently competitive to match into Radiology from any med school, provided your standardized test scores are high enough.

This AAMC stats grid gives you an idea of your chances with various undergrad cGPA /MCAT combinations: https://www.aamc.org/download/157450/data/table24-mcatgpagridall2008-10.pdf.pdf