Non-trad school list help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LANYOH

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi friends. I’m looking for suggestions on schools to add to my list.

Stats:
ugpa: 2.92 (3.5 senior year, but the damage was done)
grad gpa (immunology): 3.81
grad gpa (mph): 3.97
MCAT: 23, 493.... 510
Disadvantaged status, non-minority female (disadvantage stuff adds to the whole poor gpa thing)
LA resident, born and raised in Ohio

Shadowing: ~50 hours
Clinical: ~600 hours
Non-clinical community service: 2000 + other (I’m a certified foster parent of kids with medical needs)
Teaching: was a TA through grad school
Research: 9000 hours (this is my day job). I have 3 publications (1 first author) and 1 in review

I should add that I’m interested in the MD/PhD or DO/PhD route— primarily looking at programs in microbiology, immunology, and parasitology. (I realize this is a big dream, but it’s what I want and I’m going to try).

School list:
I started with all schools with the “32 hour policy” to focus on my post-bacc work
-LSU
-Boston U
-Univ of Michigan
-Wayne State, then...
-Tulane
-Case Western (super reach)

Now that I have my MCAT, I’d like to expand this list. I don’t have a ton of extra money, so I want to apply smart.
The problem is that MD schools do not count GPAs from research based MS programs. You are also handicapped as a reinventor by being a 2x MCAT taker with an avg score of 500. MD/PhD is not a possibility
I suggest all OH state schools
Any DO program. I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, Wm Carey, LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me. CalHS is too new and appears to be too limited in rotations sites.

Members don't see this ad :)
Add OH state schools to my existing list or ONLY apply to OH? Does the grad gpa thing apply to all MDs or just schools without the 32-hour policy?

I met with adm people in the general and dual degree programs at LSU and Tulane. They were aware of my stats, but basically said none of it was lethal, and to “work on that MCAT,” so I did.
Admissions people are trained to be polite.

For, chances best with all OH state schools.

The last 32 hrs rule seems to be for UG work, not for MS, unless DIY post-bac or SMP. The grade inflation inherent in research MS programs makes MD schools shy away from them, and MPHs aren't rigorous enough to show that you can handle med school.

I understand the issue with grad classes vs post-bacc. However, LSU advertises on their website “Post-baccalaureate studies in a degree program (Master’s, Ph.D, etc.) in biology, chemistry, physics or mathematics would satisfy the 32 Hour Policy “if” such programs allowed the applicant to attain the required 32 hours of coursework.”

To be clear, I’m a Louisiana resident, just originally from Ohio. If I’m understanding, I ought to keep Louisiana schools and then add Ohio schools + DO?

I have no real preference for MD vs DO, I just want to stay in trop med, infectious disease, and be in underserved areas... aka New Orleans. Unless you have other recommendations for that?
Add the LSUs

I’m sorry, I misremembered. Wishful thinking apparently.

ugpa: 2.82, sgpa: 2.74, ggpa: 3.9
The GPA-MCAT grid shows you have a 25% chance for a MD acceptance with your stats. Realistically, the only MD schools you have a chance at are the 2 LSU schools and NEOMED, Wright State and Toledo.
I suggest applying broadly to DO schools and include all these:
ARCOM
NYIT-Arkansas
BCOM
UIWSOM
ACOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
LUCOM
LECOM (all schools)
ICOM
WCU-COM
Sam Houston State (when they start accepting applications later this year)
MU-COM
You could try the 3 VCOMs and CUSOM but you may be screened out with your GPA. VCOM may have an additional school opening in Louisiana for 2020 or 2021 so follow the news on that one.

Most DO schools have an emphasis on primary care. Unfortunately, when applying to medical school it sometimes comes down to choosing between 1 or 2 acceptances or not going to medical school.

Reactions: 1 user