Non-trad school list number 6789.4312!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sporky

Sporky
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to know how many of you all have information (reliable, please) regarding the following skrewls and their relationship to older applicants.

Danke!!!

Keck - USC. ALso, why is this rated as the worst med school around?
GWU - D.C.
Dartmouth - N.H. (Dr. Koop's alma mater!)
UNiv of Philadelphia

Thanks!

Also, why are all the stupid private schools in New York? WHo wants to live there? (no offense to New York residents, of course)

:)

Members don't see this ad.

Sporky said:
I would like to know how many of you all have information (reliable, please) regarding the following skrewls and their relationship to older applicants.

Danke!!!

GWU - D.C.
UNiv of Philadelphia

Thanks!

Also, why are all the stupid private schools in New York? WHo wants to live there? (no offense to New York residents, of course)

I don't think there is such a school as Unv of Philadelphia...
As is said in every other similar thread, ALL schools will be receptive to nontrads who have the stats, and it behooves you to apply broadly.

Law2Doc said:
As is said in every other similar thread, ALL schools will be receptive to nontrads who have the stats, and it behooves you to apply broadly.

You have never heard of the University of Philadelphia? Where have you been? It was established just after the third Raelian laundrymat experience. www.rael.org

Actually, you are correct. It was UPENN I was suppposed to type, but my tongue got stuck on the keyboard.

I am not sure about "All schools" being receptive to non-trads, even those who have good grades and MCAT scores. Some schools (John's Hopkins) have intimated (while carefully invoking the obligatory equal access laws) that older students aren't welcome. Not that I could get into JH anyway, but there are some schools who apprently are biased against age.

Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Sporky said:
You have never heard of the University of Philadelphia? Where have you been? It was established just after the third Raelian laundrymat experience. www.rael.org

Actually, you are correct. It was UPENN I was suppposed to type, but my tongue got stuck on the keyboard.

I am not sure about "All schools" being receptive to non-trads, even those who have good grades and MCAT scores. Some schools (John's Hopkins) have intimated (while carefully invoking the obligatory equal access laws) that older students aren't welcome. Not that I could get into JH anyway, but there are some schools who apprently are biased against age.

Thanks!!!

There are nontrads at hopkins.

Law2Doc said:
There are nontrads at hopkins.

I misspoke or wrote. There are perhaps people who are not 20 something having just graduated from college studying at Hopkins. But in my correspondence with them, they did not appear as friendly toward older applicants as say schools like Pitt, St. George's and Wisconsin. Since they bill themselves as one of the world's premier medical research schools, perhaps this is because some ( or perhaps many) non-trads don't have the academic qualifications of some of the 20 somethings.

They certainly aren't as friendly as the UNiversity of Philadelphia.

Law2Doc said:
As is said in every other similar thread...

University of the Sciences in Philadelphia - http://www.usip.edu/ - not to be confused with Philadelphia University - http://www.philau.edu/. I visited the latter concerning their P.A. Program. The campus was very nice.

Law2Doc said:
If you can get an MD/DO from there, more power to you.

You guys don't get out much do you?

First of all, there is not university of Philadelphia - I made it up. I know very bad humour is often difficult to detect on electronic forums, but my comment on the Raelians should have given you at least a hint.

I really meant, university of Pennsylvania, which is not to be confused with the University of Transylvania, http://www.transy.edu/ where blood is withdrawn but never given. But their curriculum has some real teeth to it.

:luck:

Sporky said:

Danke!!!

GWU - D.C.
UNiv of Philadelphia

Thanks!

How is USC rated as the worst med school around?

calliMD said:

Thats what I want to know. I mean I'm a UCLA fan myself, but USC is at least a California school. Heck, NIH ranked it as #34 (out of 123 schools) in terms of receiving NIH grants in FY2004, so I wouldn't call it the "worst medical school around". They are certainly doing something right to get NIH funding, and these days thats essentially a miracle.

Sporky said:

Stanford, USC, and Loma Linda are also private schools and they are in California. NY has a lot of med schools yes, but I'm unsure as to the point of this comment. Plenty of private schools out there, the better question is if you are willing to pay for it. Perhaps it may be more beneficial for you to find the most recent MSAR.

calliMD said:
It's not. It's well ranked and well regarded.

Tough pill to swallow if you graduated from UCLA, though. Oh the decisions....

notdeadyet said:
It's not. It's well ranked and well regarded.

Tough pill to swallow if you graduated from UCLA, though. Oh the decisions....

I made the comment about USC because...............

It is ranked almost last in the SDN school rankings list
It is ranked among the 10 worst locations here also.

Now, we all know that rankings are subjective. Most people hopefully understand that when a car is ranked #1 by J.D. Power and Associates, that J.D> Power & Associates is directed, funded and enabled by the auto Mfgr's and this ranking is simply an advertising ploy.

The rankings here, while perhaps also very subjective come from some of those who are attending or who have actually attended medical school. Obviously some of USC's poor rankings as a school in general (unless you play football) are because of its crappy location. And yes, though I live in Texas, I was hatched and raised in socal, so I know the surroundings very well.

USC was ranked #36 in research grants by US News.
It was not ranked within the top 50 for primary care.

I agree that calling it "the worst medical school around" probably was too harsh.

I sit corrected. :)

Law2Doc said:
What list are you talking about???

The SDN rankings can be found with interview feedback. Basically, they averaged the scores SDNers gave for schools on interview feedback. It's complete cr@p, and hopefully no one would actually make a school decision based on them. :)

editing to add that I can't find the list of rankings, but here is USC's intro.

http://www.studentdoctor.net/interview/process_read.asp

Unfortunately, they don't really own up to the fact that the rankings are based on nothing except SDN feedback. :thumbdown:

Sporky said:
I made the comment about USC because...............

It is ranked almost last in the SDN school rankings list
It is ranked among the 10 worst locations here also.

Being in the top 10 worst locations doesn't neccessarily mean it is bad considering you will probably run into the more interesting patients in such locals.

I wouldn't call the area around San Francisco General, or the area around Charity Hospital (before Katrina) in New Orleans to be a good location either, but the clinical training you get at their affiliated med schools is top notch. Of course this would be more relevant to residency than med school, but i'm sure it helps a lot of students during their rotations as well. My PI went to UCSF, and did rotations at SF General. He associated much of his ability to score high on step 2 due to his "brutal" awakening at that hospital. I also have a friend who is currently a 3rd year at Keck, and she has no problems about the location. In fact, I don't think the actual Keck School of Medicine is in the usual bad neighborhood of the main undergrad/grad campus...I could be wrong though since I'm a Nor Cal person;).

If the SDN rankings are based just on feedback, then I'll assume that the bad ranking is due to the fact that the USC Med School is located in a somewhat grubby part of LA. And as someone mentioned above, the med school isnt located on the main campus but on a separate off-site campus called the Health Sciences Campus which just happens to be smack right next door to LA County Hospital (which means that if you dont speak spanish, you might have some difficulties during rotations). I'm pretty well familiarized with it, and I'll be the first to agree that the location does indeed suck. On-campus housing is pretty much non-existent, making the school mostly a commuter school with students driving in from nicer areas like South Pasadena, Alhambra, Monterey Hills, etc. Their Norris medical library is also something of a joke and the on-campus food is tolerable at best. The SDN rankings might be higher if the med school was located on the actual USC main campus, which makes a better impression by being "prettier" and having better housing/eating/library facilities, but then it would be about a 20 minute commute (without traffic) to places like county hospital or USC university hospital.

Also LA County Hospital itself can throw an intimidating shadow on anyone considering going to USC. It's huge, dimly lit and serves the poorest of the poor in LA. You'll see cases like severe burns on children because their mom decided to throw a vat of boiling water on them or burn them with cigarette butts. But it's definitely training that you won't be able to get working in, let's say, Cedars Sinai.

That being said, I know students at USC who couldn't be happier with their education. The student body seems to be well-knit and supportive despite the commuter atmosphere due to long hours spent in the same classrooms and on-campus together. Faculty are very approachable and research opportunities are pretty abundant.

Of course UCLA is still my absolute dream school, but I'd be more than ecstatic to be accepted into USC and to be able to stay in SoCal for med school. But that's just me. :)

Once you are inside the gates of the USC campus you could be in the middle of Iowa for all you know. The campus is great. The area around it is just like any other big city. You can get right on the freeway in less than a block if you need to escape a car-jacking :)

Law2Doc said:
Is Iowa really that great???

Better than the crack houses which is what most people think USC is like.