Non Trad soph undergrad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

802ginger

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a second semester sophomore undergrad at a small public liberal arts school. My major is in Forensic Psychology with a minor in Biology. I work full time (45 hours per week) as an assistant store manager at a restaurant and part time as a Patient Safety Associate (15-20 hours per week) at a local hospital. cGPA is 3.5 right now and I'll start taking my Prereqs this upcoming semester. I am planning on applying to volunteer at another local hospital for 4 hours a week until I graduate (May 2017). What should I shoot for on the MCAT and should I try and find a doctor to shadow? I've read a lot of threads and my school doesn't have a pre-health advisor so I'm just wondering what my chances of getting in are.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You don't need a pre-health advisor to be a successful applicant.
You will be traditional applicant. Non-trad are people who apply long after they finish their undergrads.
If you want to enter med school in 2017, you need to take your MCAT in May or June the latest. However, you indicated that you haven't started any pre-reqs. Chemistry sequence will take you 2 years and a half to finish, which means you will take the MCAT at the end of 2017 the earliest .