Non-Trad Strong Upward Trend

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wolverines83

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, first post here. I've found some similar posts but nothing that quite applies to my situation. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I've applied exclusively and broadly to DO schools.

Graduated a few years back with a 2.8ish cum GPA with almost no science courses. I was headed into the Army after college and saw that as my job prospect and so didn't pay much attention to my coursework. Always considered a career in medicine but, quite frankly, got blown way off course.

So here I am about a year ago deciding it's now or never, so I go back to start knocking out my pre-req courses. Here's what I've done over the following year:

Chem I (w/ lab): A
Chem II (w/ lab): A
Orgo I (w/ lab): B+
Orgo II (w/ lab): A
Physics I (w/ lab): A
Physics II (w/ lab: A
A&P I (w/ lab): A
A&P II (w/ lab): A

Just recently got my MCAT back, 28R. Not thrilled, not devastated, and I bet I can do better...but not until January obviously.

So here's where the question really comes in. My cum GPA is about a 3.0. However, my science GPA is about a 3.7 and my 28R seems to be in line with most DO school statistics. Given this, a history of service and leadership (Army Officer with combat experience) coupled with strong letters, community volunteering and a year working in both inpatient and outpatient settings, how am I looking?

More specifically, are adcoms going to look at my cumulative GPA and say "EEK, a 3.0? No way!" or will they see my performance over the last year along with everything else which, at least I feel, makes me a good applicant? Basically I'm hoping they'll have a sense of "that was then, this is now."

Thanks for the input everyone and good luck in the upcoming app cycle (unless you're competing for a seat with me :D )

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
science GPA is more important anyways, I say you have a very good shot for DO.

Thanks for the response GRod, that's good to hear. Puts my mind at ease a little bit!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Nontrad, exmilitary, decent MCAT score, steep upward grade trend, and excellent sGPA, all make an DO acceptance somewhere likely despite the low cGPA.

Hopefully, you have some physician shadowing, too? If not, it's not too late to get this done and advise schools via update letter.

(You can edit your posts if you wish.)

Nontrad, exmilitary, decent MCAT score, steep upward grade trend, and excellent sGPA, all make an DO acceptance somewhere likely despite the low cGPA.

Hopefully, you have some physician shadowing, too? If not, it's not too late to get this done and advise schools via update letter.

(You can edit your posts if you wish.)

Thanks a bunch, Catalystik. Didn't realize I could edit that.