Non-trad student, 4 years between undergrad and med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blahblah56

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
4th year non-traditional med student here. After graduation from undergrad, I worked full time, worked on my pre-reqs for med school at the local community college, and did a bunch of volunteer work. Got into med school 4 years later. Do I have to put down my enrollment at the community college under education even though it did not culminate in a degree? I listed my jobs and volunteer work so that might help explain some of my activities during this gap, I was just wondering if I should include the post-graduate course work also?

Members don't see this ad.

4th year non-traditional med student here. After graduation from undergrad, I worked full time, worked on my pre-reqs for med school at the local community college, and did a bunch of volunteer work. Got into med school 4 years later. Do I have to put down my enrollment at the community college under education even though it did not culminate in a degree? I listed my jobs and volunteer work so that might help explain some of my activities during this gap, I was just wondering if I should include the post-graduate course work also?

I think it's a good strategy to account for all of your time post undergrad education. Reviewers would rather know for sure that you were working, and/or taking prerequisite courses, and/or doing volunteer work, and/or traveling extensively rather than having to use their imaginations to fill in the time gap blanks .

Reactions: 1 user
I would definitely list all those things, it can be a conversation starter during interviews. Where you did your pre-recs won't really matter, but you should still list yet for full disclosure.

Definitely list them for the reasons listed above:
1. If you don't have all your time since HS graduation accounted for, the assumption will be that you spent that time in prison. Don't give anyone a reason to think poorly of you.
2. It is a good way to differentiate yourself from the bulk of the other applicants...it's actually a good-ish thing.

Reactions: 1 user