Non-trad student, ex-humanities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted393700

Hey All!

So I'm beginning my post-baccalaureate classes at the Health Careers Program at Harvard Extension School this fall. However, I wanted to talk about my chances considering my resume up until now.

In undergrad, I graduated cum laude with a 3.64 from a competitive "New Ivy" liberal arts college. I took ZERO science courses (because we didn't have any required courses), but graduated with a degree with honors and highest distinction in my thesis (3.7-3.8 - I don't remember - GPA in my major). I was named to dean's list 6 out of 7 eligible semesters. In addition to overloading most semesters, I also did every activity under the sun. I was elected to various student government offices, I was president or editor in chief of several clubs, I was an RA, etc etc etc - though no volunteering.

I decided to go to graduate school at an Ivy League Divinity School to study Comparative religion. My GPA took a significant blow, but showed a definite uphill trend - I think I ended up with somewhere around a 3.2-3.3 (I think it's closer to 3.3). I didn't do much in terms of extracurriculars, though I was appointed as the student representative to a disciplinary committee (that never met). Turns out graduate school is hard.

My second to last semester of div school, I began a scribe job in an urgent care, and was there for 10 months before I got a promotion with another company and a transfer into an emergency department. I love my job (even though I definitely do NOT enjoy being an administrator), and have learned so much from it.

Anyway - I'm concerned about my background which might be viewed as irrelevant, and the drop in GPA from undergrad to graduate school. I know that the classes I'm starting this fall are the ones that "really matter" for med school and I intend on busting my ass to do really well, but I want to get you guys' opinion on what I've done thus far and what I can do to improve my chances going forward.

Sorry for the wall of text. Hope everyone is doing awesome!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I totally understand that you need MCAT/GPA from post bacc to actually give me an opinion, but is my undergrad/grad school GPA totally irrelevant?

You will never escape your undergrad GPA. Your master's GPA won't be averaged with your post-bacc classes, though I assume it will be assessed somehow.

It's really impossible to say how you will do without your science GPA and your MCAT. Even the science GPA doesn't tell us much. You need both.

Keep up with the ECs and try to get some volunteering and shadowing in. The scribe stuff is great.

I totally understand that you need MCAT/GPA from post bacc to actually give me an opinion, but is my undergrad/grad school GPA totally irrelevant?
Your graduate gpa is mostly irrelevant unless it's less than a 3.5, in which case it's a detriment (everyone is expected to do well in Master's programs, even hard ones, sadly). Your undergrad gpa is ok except it has no pre reqs. Therefore, other than the material for an interesting PS there is,as yet no data upon which to give advice. Your background is not irrelevant, it merely lacks context without the data.

Like I said, I totally understand the lack of relevant info thing. I was kind of just wondering about the undergrad/grad stuff. Thank you for your time and help! It was very useful :luck: