Non Trad student help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Swartzlehman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
X

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Overall GPA 3.6
Pre Med GPA 3.9

Ec:Tons of stuff of in student gov't
community service
worked in physical therapy (outpatient/hospital) 2000+ hours as an aide, will be shadowing a physician in the ER for a few months coming up next semester,

1) I was wondering what I can do to make my app stronger,
2) what score I should aim for on MCAT minimally, and
3) whether MD of DO is in my future.
4) Also, what are some good jobs I could apply for that would make app stronger?
1) Research, shadowing a primary care physician and maybe one other specialty, teaching/coaching/mentoring/tutoring/TA, sports, hobbies, artistic endeavors.

2) With a GPA of 3.6, chances to get into an MD school: MCAT of 29 = ~37%, with a 32 = ~56%, with a 35 = ~68%. For DO, and MCAT of 25 would give you a decent chance of an acceptance somewhere.

3) As you can see, it depends on your MCAT score.

4) Anything that helps to fill in one of the holes in your application, as mentioned above.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some CCs do offer research opportunities. You might call the prehealth advisor and ask if they are aware of any opportunities. Consider not just Bio and Chem, but also Psych, econ, stats, etc. Research need not be in the sciences to satisfy med school expectations. You might also check at local hospitals that may be engaged in clinical research trials as they maybe could use a volunteer to help out.

However, it looks as though I should most of my time and effort into MCAT prep.

I feel like your MCAT score is your biggest unknown. Aim high!

Is anyone aware of research opportunities at the community college level, and would it be worth it?

I feel that research is your second biggest problem. I don't think student government is going to mean very much to a med school adcom except in addition to the normal credentials like research, grades, and shadowing.

That said, I don't think you should shoot for research at the CC level. Aim higher. Someone with NIH funding or similar, whose research is relevant to medicine. You're not likely to find much of that at the sorts of community colleges that I'm familiar with.

contacted a Naturpathic Dr. to visit her.

Why bother? Are you applying to ND school? If you're really curious go shadow her for a short time, but if I were you I wouldn't mention this in your application! Some people on the adcom will respect your openness to CAM, but the rest will be unimpressed, and some people will look upon it negatively.

I have recently been looking into a possible Master's degree as a way of strengthening my application. In this way I believe I can take care of research requirements as well as signifying I can do well in graduate science work. (This may be lacking because I have had to take my core science courses at a community college.) Does anyone have suggestions? MPH is what I'm leaning toward
A traditional masters degree GPA is unlikely to be regarded as a GPA enhancer by MD schools, as their GPAs are widely assumed to be inflated. A heavy-science masters, which an MPH is not, might help at a few schools if your grades are excellent. The masters-degree-earning experience would be looked on as an excellent EC, which is also of value in the residency application process. Opportunities attained due to the degree like research and teaching, can also enhance your application.

To impress adcomms that you have what it takes to do well in their program, you'd be better off taking upper-level Bio in a postbac or by delaying your graduation to get them in, getting all As, of course. If you are taking such classes, you'd likely be able to get a research gig in the same university. And commonly the tuition cost would be less. Unless your did a two-year funded MPH or Bio-type masters, which could come with free tuition and a stipend, in return for teaching/rsearch duties.

Hello again. I have recently been looking into a possible Master's degree as a way of strengthening my application. In this way I believe I can take care of research requirements as well as signifying I can do well in graduate science work. (This may be lacking because I have had to take my core science courses at a community college.) Does anyone have suggestions? MPH is what I'm leaning toward because I know it's where I have interest. Furthermore, it's a shorter program.

Thanks!

it's overkill. if you can't get research experience through a volunteer position in an academic lab, then don't worry about it. people are accepted to med schools all the time without research, even at the so-called "research oriented" ones.

get a master's because you have a genuine interest in the subject matter, not as an expensive addendum to your CV. it's really surprising how little med schools care about your other graduate work.