Non-trad student here

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

triplerox

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
cGPA: 3.19
sGPA: 3.24 (I think, I'm not sure how to calculate so I just used grades from all my science courses)

I just graduated and I am planning on taking a year off (or two) to make myself more competitive. I plan on taking advance science courses as well as EC (shadowing/volunteering) during that course of time. I have my eyes set on schools in California (both MD and DO). I will apply out-of-state as well if I see one that I like. Assuming I aced all my classes and scoring 40+ on MCAT, will I be at least some sort of competitive candidate? I am also trying to find something, anything, that will make me standout significantly.

Members don't see this ad.

A 40 on the MCAT but good luck with that..

ROSS will take you though! Seriously though, do a post-bacc like I did and make all A's. Thats probably your best bet. Good luck.

A 40 on the MCAT but good luck with that..

ROSS will take you though! Seriously though, do a post-bacc like I did and make all A's. Thats probably your best bet. Good luck.

Thanks. My local university doesn't really have a post-bac program. So I just plan on taking classes as post-grad there. Will that be just about the same?

Members don't see this ad :)
Two years of straight As including a lot of upper-level science classes and an MCAT of 40+ will get you some attention from a med school somewhere. Once you have their attention, your ECs need to be dazzling, like maybe 2+ years of research with hopefully publications, strong leadership and nonmedical community service, maybe some teaching, beside the usual clinical experience and shadowing.

Another route to success if your endeavors are not quite perfect would be to complete an SMP (Special Masters Program) and get a high GPA there. Unlike a traditional masters program, an SMP can override a low uGPA. See the Postbaccalaureate Program Forum for details.

Alternatively, you might consider DO med schools (there are two in California). Their application service will replace any low grades if you retake the courses for the same credits or greater. You could get your GPA higher much faster if you just have a few bad grades. AMCAS just averages in any repeats, counting both of them.

Two years of straight As including a lot of upper-level science classes and an MCAT of 40+ will get you some attention from a med school somewhere. Once you have their attention, your ECs need to be dazzling, like maybe 2+ years of research with hopefully publications, strong leadership and nonmedical community service, maybe some teaching, beside the usual clinical experience and shadowing.

Another route to success if your endeavors are not quite perfect would be to complete an SMP (Special Masters Program) and get a high GPA there. Unlike a traditional masters program, an SMP can override a low uGPA. See the Postbaccalaureate Program Forum for details.

Alternatively, you might consider DO med schools (there are two in California). Their application service will replace any low grades if you retake the courses for the same credits or greater. You could get your GPA higher much faster if you just have a few bad grades. AMCAS just averages in any repeats, counting both of them.

Thanks for the reply. I have definitely considered DO as well. I have thought about SMP before but the price tag on those are a bit excessive for me. Maybe if I find out ways to finance it I will look into it as well.

Amusing how people expect to score in the top 1%.