Non-trad Studying for the 2011 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BLKPA2MD

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any Non-trad currently studying for the 2011 MCAT & also employed part-time or full-time? How's it going? Any strategies you would like to share? And what study material are you finding helpful?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I'm registered for the 1/28 MCAT. I work full time and have a baby, so some days are slow going for studying. I just try to do as much as I can when I can.

I'm using Kaplan on Demand. I like it so far, the material is decent and it helps me study to have a mapped out plan. I also like not having to go to class, so I can study anytime. What books are you using?

Good luck!

Hello. I am studying for a upcoming 2011 MCAT. I am also working full time. I'm trying to get in as much studying as I can.

I purchased the Kaplan books but since I've been out of school for awhile, I thought I needed some additional help. I purchased BR Ochem and Physics however I'm still waiting for them to come in the mail. I also have all the EK 1001 books.

I would have to say my weakness is physics!

I also plan on purchasing the AAMC tests after I cover all the material I want to and when it gets closer to my MCAT date.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I'm registered for the 1/28 MCAT. I work full time and have a baby, so some days are slow going for studying. I just try to do as much as I can when I can.

I'm using Kaplan on Demand. I like it so far, the material is decent and it helps me study to have a mapped out plan. I also like not having to go to class, so I can study anytime. What books are you using?

Good luck!
...online Kaplan program....still completing Biology content review. Will supplement EK Bio (like how's it summarized..though its written assuming you already knows the concept). PS (Physics-Nova/TPR/Kaplan, Chemistry-Kaplan). VR- EK 101...& any VR practice that I can gets my hands on. I still have a long way to go.

Any opinions on how much of an advantage it would be, if at all, to take the May 7th date w/scores released on June 7th vs. May 20th w/scores released on June 21st? My classes in Spring end May 13th and I'd rather avoid cramming for both the MCAT and finals in the same week.

Any opinions on how much of an advantage it would be, if at all, to take the May 7th date w/scores released on June 7th vs. May 20th w/scores released on June 21st? My classes in Spring end May 13th and I'd rather avoid cramming for both the MCAT and finals in the same week.

In general, your AMCAS application is transmitted to schools on/about June 25th. Either way, you are putting all of your eggs into one MCAT basket; that is, that you won't have to retake (hopefully you won't!) So really, the advantage between the 7th and the 21st is virtually 0. Your app, if verified, will be transmitted to schools shortly after that no matter what. I would take the later test if you think it would even give you a slightly better boost.

If you are pretty sure that you will do well/did do well enough not to retake, then I would suggest submitting your app well before June 21st with at least one school so that your app can be verified. If you are unsure how well you did, you may want to make it a school lower on your list. That way your application can be verified, but your score and app won't be transmitted to every single school making you a reapplicant at every school (just a reapplicant in general) if things go wrong, or causing you to waste money if your test didn't go the way you wanted it to.

Please don't mistake my advice for pessimism; it is the same advice I would give anyone who is taking an MCAT close to when they want to apply! Good luck!!!!!:luck:

I certainly appreciate the advice although it does bring up one other question. I was under the impression that as soon as your app is verified, you can send it off to schools at will and it's transmitted within a day or two. Is that not correct? i.e. I mark down 5 of the 25 schools I plan to apply to on my initial submission on June 1st. It gets verified and sent to those schools June 25th. If my MCAT score is good, I would then add an additional 20 schools on June 26th and expect them to receive my app by the end of June.

Is not not correct?

In general, your AMCAS application is transmitted to schools on/about June 25th. Either way, you are putting all of your eggs into one MCAT basket; that is, that you won't have to retake (hopefully you won't!) So really, the advantage between the 7th and the 21st is virtually 0. Your app, if verified, will be transmitted to schools shortly after that no matter what. I would take the later test if you think it would even give you a slightly better boost.

If you are pretty sure that you will do well/did do well enough not to retake, then I would suggest submitting your app well before June 21st with at least one school so that your app can be verified. If you are unsure how well you did, you may want to make it a school lower on your list. That way your application can be verified, but your score and app won't be transmitted to every single school making you a reapplicant at every school (just a reapplicant in general) if things go wrong, or causing you to waste money if your test didn't go the way you wanted it to.

Please don't mistake my advice for pessimism; it is the same advice I would give anyone who is taking an MCAT close to when they want to apply! Good luck!!!!!:luck:

I'm in a similar situation as GRT, applying to one school sounds like the way to go.

Does anyone know of a good MCAT flash card set? I'm getting the Kaplan books as well, but I find flash cards work well for me.

2011 MCAT here as well. I'm using EK Bio/Verbal and BK Phy/Chem/Ochem books.

I plan on taking the MCAT end of 2011, but thinking of taking them Jan 2012. This will allow me more time to prep by taking other advanced bios. I plan on not working or working part time when I start prep'ing.

I'll probably be taking the July MCAT... I wanted to take June but it's during my finals week so I figure I'm better off being a little later on my app than trying to do finals and MCAT in same week.

I'm going to pick up the BR books for physics/ochem/chem/bio and EK for verbal and also for bio. Physics is the only class I haven't retaken in my postbac work, so I picked up TPR physics a few weeks ago and have been working through that as a refresher before I go into BR physics.

I've also got EK 1001 books for Chemistry and Physics to get more problems to work through. Seems like the key is to do as many problems and passages as you can.

Because my MCAT isn't until July, I won't start studying in earnest until after the first of the year

You might wanna get the NOVA physics book. It had been 8+years since i took a real physics course and while BR physics has killer passages on OK content, i feel like i didn't really get. The princeton review hyperlearning physics is a great one to have. Their EM chapter beats BR hands down. NOVA helped me to really comprehend and intuitively know what's going on. Use EK 1001 to tie up the loose ends. They have great tricks.

Hello. I am studying for a upcoming 2011 MCAT. I am also working full time. I'm trying to get in as much studying as I can.

I purchased the Kaplan books but since I've been out of school for awhile, I thought I needed some additional help. I purchased BR Ochem and Physics however I'm still waiting for them to come in the mail. I also have all the EK 1001 books.

I would have to say my weakness is physics!

I also plan on purchasing the AAMC tests after I cover all the material I want to and when it gets closer to my MCAT date.

TPR hyperlearning. Nova physics. BR except verbal. have the EK 101. To the person who said practice is the key, i'm with you on that.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am registered for the January 28th MCAT and I work full time.

Material: EK for initial content review, Kaplan for topics I need more in-depth information about, and TPR for their passages (in physics and gen chem). Mind you I either got these books off of craigslist for a steal or borrowed/took them from friends who got into medical school.

Study Schedule: At first I was doing the EK 10 week study plan and found out rather quickly that it was either MCAT study or lose my mind. So I merged and adapted the SDN schedule with the TBR schedule and its working pretty well.

I have my own office at work so I get in uber early (around 6), get important stuff off my desk and study at work from like 10-1 ( if you don't have a super cool boss I wouldn't recommend doing this). During my morning study, I might go over a subject area that I am weak on (i.e. the previous days topic) or more recently what I have been doing is the EK verbal tests and the in-class exams at the back of each book.

When I get home I try to relax before hitting the books again because from what I have read on these boards MCAT burn out is a byatch! At this point it is all about practice problems and passages.

The TBR schedule does have what they call 'catch up days', so if I wasnt able to complete all the problems or review all the subject areas for a particular week, I use that day to catch up.

I will be starting the full lengths pretty soon and one strategy I have been considering is to just wake up at one each morning and go through the exam and review my answers when I get home after work. I don't think I can take 5 hours out of my work day to to a practice test, so I will get home at 6ish, eat, take a shower and go to bed, wake up at one and do the test and just leave home and head to work at 7.

If I come on SDN and start typing gibberish then you know that that particular strategy is a fail ;)

Count me in as well. Finished undergrad about 4 years ago and currently working full-time with a somewhat demanding job that would not allow me to studying during work. Trying to remember all the stuff I've forgotten. I am using the TPR Hyperlearning books and supplementing with EK and Nova Physics, may throw in some BR if I feel I need extra help. Having been down this path a few times (Started studying then backed out before actually taking test), hoping to finally get this monkey off my back and get it done. My plan is to try to make progress most days of the week and steadily pick up the pace as I can without burning out. Exercising after work and before I study is big help as well. Good luck all!

Count me in as well. Finished undergrad about 4 years ago and currently working full-time with a somewhat demanding job that would not allow me to studying during work. Trying to remember all the stuff I've forgotten. I am using the TPR Hyperlearning books and supplementing with EK and Nova Physics, may throw in some BR if I feel I need extra help. Having been down this path a few times (Started studying then backed out before actually taking test), hoping to finally get this monkey off my back and get it done. My plan is to try to make progress most days of the week and steadily pick up the pace as I can without burning out. Exercising after work and before I study is big help as well. Good luck all!
...same here.

Oooh I think I might start Zumbaing (sp) after work...that always puts me in a good mood...ZUMBA!!!

Love Zumba. :) It's much easier with a tablet PC though.

:laugh: I was thinking of ZUMA. Not zumBa!!!!! :laugh:

WTH is zumBa??????

I'm taking the 1/28/11 MCAT and currently working full time and taking biochemistry! I'm taking the Kaplan classroom course, which helps somewhat keep up with a steady MCAT study schedule, which I don't think that I could do on my own with everything else that I have going on. I'm also supplementing with TBR physics and chemistry and I also have all of the EK 1001 books and 101 for verbal. We will be done with content review around the 1st week of Dec, giving me about 7.5 weeks of practice, practice, practice!!

I certainly appreciate the advice although it does bring up one other question. I was under the impression that as soon as your app is verified, you can send it off to schools at will and it's transmitted within a day or two. Is that not correct? i.e. I mark down 5 of the 25 schools I plan to apply to on my initial submission on June 1st. It gets verified and sent to those schools June 25th. If my MCAT score is good, I would then add an additional 20 schools on June 26th and expect them to receive my app by the end of June.

Is not not correct?
Yep you're right! I was just reiterating that, in order to be verified "early", you want to make sure you submit your app (with at least one school chosen) well before the end of June so it is verified and ready to go. Once it is verified, you're correct, you can add schools and the application will be made available to them very quickly.

Some schools download every couple of days, some do it once a week...but if you're in that early, any time you lose will be negligible. If you're super anxious you can always pre-write secondaries since the questions are generally posted within moments of the first SDN member receiving them:laugh:

Am finding TPR Physics helpful. Anyone using TPR Chemistry & will you recommend buying it? In search for Kaplan-chemistry supplement.

Thought I would give this thread a bump.

I am in the 2011 boat as well. Working full time. I am thinking of leaving work temporarily to focus entirely on prep as I am finding it very difficult to balance both.

I'm using a mixture of ExamKrackers books with the 30 mins exams and Kaplan workbooks. Also trying the 1001 EK series, which has really helped me a lot.

I think I'm in for a pretty wild ride. I'm:

Working full-time
Taking Physics II this semester
Studying for the MCAT (about 8 years out from the pre-reqs)
Having a baby girl in February

When I'm all done I'll tell you if this can work or not. Basically...I've purposely cut down on sleep before all of this starts up. Trying to get as much study in as I can, b/c I know I'll start falling behind on studying.

I've got a couple weeks of vacation saved up. My goal is to have every single day of that used by the time the MCAT comes around.

Im taking it in august. Im getting EK and a few more from BR. I may be weird but I'm exited.

I think I'm in for a pretty wild ride. I'm:

Working full-time
Taking Physics II this semester
Studying for the MCAT (about 8 years out from the pre-reqs)
Having a baby girl in February

When I'm all done I'll tell you if this can work or not. Basically...I've purposely cut down on sleep before all of this starts up. Trying to get as much study in as I can, b/c I know I'll start falling behind on studying.

I've got a couple weeks of vacation saved up. My goal is to have every single day of that used by the time the MCAT comes around.
Sounds oddly familiar...
OChem, baby in May, working full time. Saving up vacation...
When do you plan on taking it? I'm shooting for May 7 (4 days before baby shows up - she better be punctual).

Sounds oddly familiar...
When do you plan on taking it? I'm shooting for May 7 (4 days before baby shows up - she better be punctual).
'

Thank you for encouraging me that I can do this too! Ochem II, working 60 hours a week...no baby but working on wedding plans and I'm sure being pregnant is much more exhausting.
We can do it!
I signed up for May 21st...it's late but May 7 was the day before my ochem final and I really couldn't handle both that close together.
Does anyone want to start an Ochem study group through PMs just to answer general questions/clear up confusions?

im shooting for the summer MCAT, working 40 hours a week, and i have a 6 year old daughter.

i signed up for a princeton review prep course because i felt it would give me the discipline and review i need. it is going to suck though...it starts feb 8th and ends in may, tues/thurs 630-930PM and sunday 10AM-4PM with an hour break for lunch. that will be an exhausting three months!

i also have BR books and EK books - i review on my own when i have free time, even between experiments at work. do you have an iphone/itouch/ipad? they have some study apps so perhaps that can be good for lunch breaks and commutes?

Sounds oddly familiar...

I'll be taking it somewhere around then. Haven't signed up yet. My physics class ends on May 8, so that means that if I take it May 7, then I'll have that whole last week of the class (finals week) to go crazy on MCAT studying and hopefully not mess up a good grade in the class.

i like the itouch app idea- will check that out tonight and work on that on the train (yay for public transit commuting).

btw, walking into a classroom of undergrad's taking ochem is scary!

I'm registered to take it on may 26th. i couldn't find seats for the week before. Wow. Anyway, I am working full time at a lab so I will try and study at work. I am using BR for content review, followed by watching the videos on Khan academy. After that I'll do all the questions in the 1001 EK books and all the 30 min passages in the EK review book. Then I'll do the passages in the BR books, followed by the Offical guide to the MCAT book, then some Kaplan Questions that I have and the last 3 weeks or so, I'll do a practice test every mon, wedn, and friday until my exam date. My brain already hurts. Lol. Good luck everyone. :)

I'm taking it March 26th! Full time job, baby turning one soon, and starting an immunology undergrad class this week :scared: luckily, the university has a long drop/add period and provides full refunds, so if the syllabus is scary I can bail, no harm, no foul. The MCAT is my priority right now (with regards to applying to med school)!

I plan on signing up for the May 26th date, is that too late?

Also, Im starting SN2ed's 4month study plan...exactly as it is written...in Feb.

Work full-time and other med school relevant stuff (volunteer, research, shadow, leadership)

Question: I know we are all non-trad...but have you guys heard anyone say that the further you move away from the traditional pathway to medical school (ie. pre-med undergrad straight to med school) the less likely your chances? I saw it on a forum here...what you guys think?

I am taking the MCAT again (due to a low VR score) in March. Should I order the TBR online tests now?
Have taken all the AAMC's last time - except for AAMC 11 - will take it a week or 2 before the test this time.

Signed up for the Apr 29 MCAT. I'm at the tail end of my DIY post-bacc and am only taking OChem II + Lab this semester while I work ~15 hours/week and study for MCAT.

I have all the EK books and have taken two AAMC practice MCAT's (PT3 and 7). Scored 29 on both (11,9,9 both times). My strategy is to take a practice test every other week at the library, on the day and time that my real MCAT will be. So far it has been great in just getting used to the 10 min breaks and how fatigued I feel towards the end of Bio section.

I am registered for the May 21st MCAT. Working on writing up my dissertation, taking bio II and studying for MCAT with some pre-reqs that are ~10yrs old. I am using the EK books and old textbooks for content review, TPR hyperlearning verbal for practice passages and EK 1001 workbooks for practice problems. EK's verbal is good for practice as well. Once I am done with content review, I plan to use the AAMC FL and maybe BR FL for practice if I have more time. From what I have heard and read practice is the key to a good score. Good luck everyone!

April 9th MCAT here, working FT, taking postbac classes. Ugh. Want sleep...

I think the best advice I could give anybody is to the AMSA official MCATs for practice. I took the MCAT once before and did pretty well, but I know the thing that prevented me from really acing it was that I didn't do any practice exams at all.

Practicing test-taking is huge. That's the main reason I'm doing the Kaplan class- just to force myself to sit down and do ~15 full lengths between now and April 9th. Good luck all! (also in case anybody is interested, I'm chronicling this insane period of my life online - check out the link vvvvvvvvv. If anybody else is, I'd be excited to read it!)