Non-Trad to EDP KUMed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IrishTwins

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
26 years old, graduated May, 2011 with my B.S. Biology / Chemistry Minor from a state university in Missouri. Received Summa Cum Laude honors for this degree.

Moved across state line at that time to Kansas, became Kansas Resident. Have attended Kansas junior college in the past, and lived there for a brief time, and have worked there in the past for a couple of years as well (so pretty decent ties in addition to current residence.)

Applied this week EDP to KUMed.

MCAT = 28P (10,9,9)

Cumulative GPA = 3.87. Science should be the same or better.

Have two dependents, married.

EC / Accolades / Experience:

• 1+ year regular volunteering/shadowing at free health clinic, direct patient contact.
  • 1+ year volunteering/shadowing with rural primary care doc. LOR from this physician.
  • Current volunteer for Relay for Life (planning committee chair).
  • Flag Bearer at Commencement for undergraduate degree.
  • Member of Phi Kappa Phi / Omicron Delta Kappa honor societies.
  • After graduation, obtained employment at reference immunodiagnostic laboratory, worked there until present time performing diagnostic assays, PCR, etc.
  • Have some research experience through a senior research project / bioinformatics course. Independent research and gene annotation of a radiation resistant microbe, which was reported back to the Joint Genome Institute as official sequencing and documentation.
  • Attended leadership programs in highschool, volunteered through highschool.

3 LOR's - 1 from primary care physician I shadowed, as mentioned above, 1 from head of chemistry department at my undergrad. university (she was also my Organic Chemistry professor) and 1 from another chemistry professor / academic advisor. They should all be very strong and personal.

Am 1/4 Japanese and descendant of Cherokee Indian (too dilute to measure at this point) and am claiming Asian / Native American / Caucasion on my application.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
26 years old, graduated May, 2011 with my B.S. Biology / Chemistry Minor from a state university in Missouri. Received Summa Cum Laude honors for this degree.

Moved across state line at that time to Kansas, became Kansas Resident. Have attended Kansas junior college in the past, and lived there for a brief time, and have worked there in the past for a couple of years as well (so pretty decent ties in addition to current residence.)

Applied this week EDP to KUMed.

MCAT = 28P (10,9,9)

Cumulative GPA = 3.87. Science should be the same or better.

Have two dependents, married.

EC / Accolades / Experience:

• 1+ year regular volunteering/shadowing at free health clinic, direct patient contact.
  • 1+ year volunteering/shadowing with rural primary care doc. LOR from this physician.
  • Current volunteer for Relay for Life (planning committee chair).
  • Flag Bearer at Commencement for undergraduate degree.
  • Member of Phi Kappa Phi / Omicron Delta Kappa honor societies.
  • After graduation, obtained employment at reference immunodiagnostic laboratory, worked there until present time performing diagnostic assays, PCR, etc.
  • Have some research experience through a senior research project / bioinformatics course. Independent research and gene annotation of a radiation resistant microbe, which was reported back to the Joint Genome Institute as official sequencing and documentation.
  • Attended leadership programs in highschool, volunteered through highschool.

3 LOR's - 1 from primary care physician I shadowed, as mentioned above, 1 from head of chemistry department at my undergrad. university (she was also my Organic Chemistry professor) and 1 from another chemistry professor / academic advisor. They should all be very strong and personal.

Am 1/4 Japanese and descendant of Cherokee Indian (too dilute to measure at this point) and am claiming Asian / Native American / Caucasion on my application.
hard to say with the EDP. i know for my own state school a 28 wouldn't cut it for early decision, but according to the MSAR kansas has a pretty wide range of mcat scores so I guess you'll see? Good luck.

ps if you get rejected EDP will you be put back into the regular decision group?

Thanks for the input - you think my chances would have been better for regular decision, then?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the input - you think my chances would have been better for regular decision, then?
I don't know enough about EDP at Kansas unfortunately to answer. Did you speak w any advisors beforehand? If they gave you the go ahead for EDP than I'd be confident in your decision. Other than the mcat I'd say you're ideal for early decision. Good luck to you

Last edited:
I would try to talk to someone involved in admissions. I just applied ED to WVU with really similar stats and was unsure about the decision for awhile. What helped me was talking with some people involved in admissions who said they thought I was a strong candidate and that ED would help me stand out. ED does provide you it's an advantage, just make sure to get all of the details from someone involved in the process and try to talk to someone to see if you're a good candidate if possible. Good luck!

I would try to talk to someone involved in admissions. I just applied ED to WVU with really similar stats and was unsure about the decision for awhile. What helped me was talking with some people involved in admissions who said they thought I was a strong candidate and that ED would help me stand out. ED does provide you it's an advantage, just make sure to get all of the details from someone involved in the process and try to talk to someone to see if you're a good candidate if possible. Good luck!

Okay, good advice. From what I've heard, KU seems to have the same reputation WVU does concerning ED helping one stand out (committed applicant, etc.)

Was just hoping to get an overall assessment of my application strength, I guess, considering the lowish MCAT score.

I was accepted to KU this year. I applied regular decision, but had a few friends apply to the EDP. Overall, I think you have a good shot. A classmate of mine had lower stats than your and he was accepted early decision. I also had two friends with 25-26 MCATs and approximately 3.5 GPAs get accepted during the regular cycle, so I would not stress out too much if I were you.

Best of luck!

I was accepted to KU this year. I applied regular decision, but had a few friends apply to the EDP. Overall, I think you have a good shot. A classmate of mine had lower stats than your and he was accepted early decision. I also had two friends with 25-26 MCATs and approximately 3.5 GPAs get accepted during the regular cycle, so I would not stress out too much if I were you.

Best of luck!

Congratulations! That's really encouraging. Did you attend KU for undergrad?