Non-trad, Veteran. Need advice...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LA Mike

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Dude, you're taking the MCAT in 5 days. Chill out. Maybe take one more practice test and review. Rest the day before your test. Good nights rest and sleep, eat foods that won't cause stomach problems the next day. Don't forget to empty your bowels and bladder before you actually take your test.

Your GPA is quite good, pending your MCAT score I think you'll stand a good chance at the UC med schools.

Have you thought about applying to the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences? You are one of the few premeds I would recommend down that route because you are a veteran already. No tuition. O-1 pay (O-1E if you have 4 years and 1 day of service). Full health, dental, vision coverage. Save your GI Bill for your kids one day. Though you'll be in the military for the next...15 years...

I think you're doing great! I didn't make it into med school until I was 28.

EDIT: Thank you for your service brother.

Reactions: 2 users
As long as you do well on the MCAT you will be fine, BUT.... in no way should you bank on only 1 med school. Even if it were the lowest med school out there and you score in the 99th percentile, there is still no guarantee you will get into that school. Plan to move for med school and if you get lucky and get in, then great. The reality is you will likely need to move once for med school, again for residency, and again to get a job or fellowship. If you score a 510 or above, you GPA combined with former military service should give a solid chance at getting in somewhere, as long as you apply to several schools. The MCAT is going to be key for you though b/c if you don't have a strong MCAT it is going to heavily discount your GPA since you have so many CC hours. CC hrs are okay if you crush the MCAT since that presumes you actually had tough courses that taught you the material. Conversely, if you do poorly on the MCAT it looks like you just got good grades at CC b/c the courses were easy.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You'll be fine.

Just make sure you apply broadly to schools all over the country (not just in SoCal).

Unless you crush the MCAT I wouldn't expect an interview from UCLA (or any other top med schools).

Reactions: 1 user
P.s. I'm trying to go to UCLA med school since It's near my house, and GI Bill pays full tuition for Public schools.

Consider other public schools, especially those in military friendly states (Texas, North Carolina, West Virginia - really any state that tends to vote 'red' in elections). I lucked out and was interviewed by a retired Air Force cardiac surgeon and a professor who had been a military wife. My school insists that wasn't the reason I was selected, but it didn't hurt.

Relax brody its just grad school but dont forget to add your JST transcript in your applications because if you claim military they want to see it. Also you are allowed to "BEEF" up who you are by using things such as combat lifesaver, overseas experiences and so on.

Relax brody its just grad school but dont forget to add your JST transcript in your applications because if you claim military they want to see it. Also you are allowed to "BEEF" up who you are by using things such as combat lifesaver, overseas experiences and so on.

Thanks! Currently, I am finishing up my work/activity, and your advice is very helpful.