non-trad w/3.6 GPA, 29 MCAT - uneven 7/11/11

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wolfley

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a non-trad (26 years old) with a 3.64 BCPM GPA and 3.56 cGPA. I received my MCAT score last week and it's an uneven 29 with a 7 in PS, 11 in VR, 11 in BS. My AAMC practice exam average was a 32 (under timed, test-like conditions) and given the 7 in PS, I'm assuming I need to re-take it.

Looking for some guidance - should I even bother applying to MD programs or should I only be focused on DO at this point?

other pertinent information:
NY resident
significant work experience and leadership roles
thousands of hours of both clinical volunteering and non-clinical volunteering
two research projects

My wife is a doctoral student in NY and so I would love to stay in NY, but I understand that may not be possible.
I'm planning to apply very early next year

Members don't see this ad.

Suggest aiming for ANY DO school, and try the SUNYs, U Rochester, NYMC and Albany. Maybe the Philly triplets, Quinnipiac and Penn State to at least keep you nearby, if you boning for the MD degree.

I'm a non-trad (26 years old) with a 3.64 BCPM GPA and 3.56 cGPA. I received my MCAT score last week and it's an uneven 29 with a 7 in PS, 11 in VR, 11 in BS. My AAMC practice exam average was a 32 (under timed, test-like conditions) and given the 7 in PS, I'm assuming I need to re-take it.

Looking for some guidance - should I even bother applying to MD programs or should I only be focused on DO at this point?

other pertinent information:
NY resident
significant work experience and leadership roles
thousands of hours of both clinical volunteering and non-clinical volunteering
two research projects

My wife is a doctoral student in NY and so I would love to stay in NY, but I understand that may not be possible.
I'm planning to apply very early next year

Suggest aiming for ANY DO school, and try the SUNYs, U Rochester, NYMC and Albany. Maybe the Philly triplets, Quinnipiac and Penn State to at least keep you nearby, if you boning for the MD degree.

Thank you for your advice and list of schools. I was thinking my chances at MD were somewhat hopeless at this point. I don't have a preference for MD over DO (some of the best physicians I know are DO's). However, I was told that my long-term career goals will be more achievable with an MD

Members don't see this ad :)
I think Rochester is a real stretch for OP. He's right at the 10th% MCAT for them.

True only to a the degree that some residency directors do not hire DOs and my grads tell me that the do have to work harder to get into their specialties, but overall, it's becoming a falsehood. DOs can be rheumatologists, nephrologists, orthopods, surgeons, anesthesiologists, neurologists, neonatologists, cardiologists...do I need to go on?

Always best to get into medical school first, and then worry about specialty.

However, I was told that my long-term career goals will be more achievable with an MD

Reactions: 1 users
True only to a the degree that some residency directors do not hire DOs and my grads tell me that the do have to work harder to get into their specialties, but overall, it's becoming a falsehood. DOs can be rheumatologists, nephrologists, orthopods, surgeons, anesthesiologists, neurologists, neonatologists, cardiologists...do I need to go on?

Always best to get into medical school first, and then worry about specialty.

However, I was told that my long-term career goals will be more achievable with an MD

thanks!

I think Rochester is a real stretch for OP. He's right at the 10th% MCAT for them.

I have a quick question about being at the 10th% and using MSAR. For example, I am looking at Hofstra right now. Their 10th percentile for VR is 9, BS is 10, PS is 10 - so my overall score is 29 and overall it's the same as their 10th percentile, but since my PS is below their 10th percentile (a 7) - I am assuming I won't be viewed the same as someone who scored a 9/10/10 ?

I have a quick question about being at the 10th% and using MSAR. For example, I am looking at Hofstra right now. Their 10th percentile for VR is 9, BS is 10, PS is 10 - so my overall score is 29 and overall it's the same as their 10th percentile, but since my PS is below their 10th percentile (a 7) - I am assuming I won't be viewed the same as someone who scored a 9/10/10 ?
You are functionally identical unless they have a lower cut-off for specific subscores. Either way it's a long shot unless you have some personal quality in short supply!

I greatly appreciate all of the helpful responses I got on this thread.

I signed up to re-take the MCAT in January, but I am not feeling very confident to retake right now. I know I still have some time and this may change. When I studied for the MCAT over the summer, I wasn't taking any classes, I was just working. Now that I am studying for the re-take, I have less time to study than I had over the summer. On my practice exams, I am still consistently scoring between 11-13 on the VR and BS sections, but my PS score has not improved to where it needs to be.

I'm not giving up, but my question now is - what happens if I can't improve my PS score? Also, how terrible of a position will I be in if I do have to apply with the 29, with the 7 in PS, as a NY resident?

Your VR and BS scores are solid. I wouldn't jump the gun and say that you absolutely need to retake the exam with a 7 in PS. It certainly doesn't look favorable, but it's not awful. If you plan to re-take the exam in January, you want to go into it with the right mindset. You still have a little over two months to study, and that should give you plenty of preparation time. You just have to manage your time and learn how to balance studying with work. I encourage you to purchase Examkrackers' 1001 Questions for Physics. I know that people have attributed their high scores in PS to this book. I hope that helps! Best of luck :)

P.S. If you apply with a 29, all hope is not lost. You still have a chance, granted you have great LORs, a stellar personal statement, and a solid GPA.

Reactions: 1 user
EK1001 isn't as applicable as it was a few years ago. The recent trend in PS sections is more conceptual with less calculation. Head over to the recent MCAT topics and see for yourself.

These 2014 PS sections have been brutal. I would be hesitant to retake it with your score. You can get a MD with a 29, but if your score goes down- and it often does- it's gonna look ugly. I would focus on DO with 5-8 MD schools as reaches.

Reactions: 1 user
EK1001 isn't as applicable as it was a few years ago. The recent trend in PS sections is more conceptual with less calculation. Head over to the recent MCAT topics and see for yourself.

These 2014 PS sections have been brutal. I would be hesitant to retake it with your score. You can get a MD with a 29, but if your score goes down- and it often does- it's gonna look ugly. I would focus on DO with 5-8 MD schools as reaches.

Thanks for your advice. I did do ek1001 before my first exam and found that the questions were not much like what I saw on my mcat. Still I was shocked to get the 7 in PS as my aamc average for PS was higher and I did well on the PS self assessment too