Non-trad w/ post bac...too late to apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kkgamez

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Graduated with an engineering degree, ~3.0 GPA

I'm in my third semester of my post-bac program at a state school. I'm sitting at 3.97 GPA so far after 31 credits. (re-took orgo2, 22 credits of upper level bio/upper level neuroscience, 3 credits of research, 3 credits for TA) I'm taking 13 hours of classes + 3 research + 2 TA credits, for total 18 hours this semester and don't really see a reason to get below 3.9 this semester. After next semester I expect to have ~50 credits of upper level bioscience/neuroscience with hopefully ~4.0 GPA. Currently I'm spending close to 30 hours a week in my lab and close to publishing my work soon.

Took the MCAT in May and got a 38P (12V/13B/13P), took one december 2009 and got a 28R that time.

Most of my ECs as a post-bac consists of TAing and research - I know medical experience is important but I wanted to show I can flourish in a classroom setting. Still, I just finished registering at a local hospital fir volunteer position starting next week and hopefully get some solid hours in.

As an undergrad, volunteered at a hospital on regular basis for all 4 years, full time for 1 summer, 2 years of DII sport, Habitat for 4 years, RA for 2 years, 2 years of Amnesty International

I've basically completed my application but still haven't submitted my application...I'm worried that if I re-apply next year it will look bad with such a quick turn around. What do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

Clinical experience is very important. Applying without them would waste both your time and the schools'.

It seems that you have not SUBMITTED your application. Until you press that button, your AMCAS application is incomplete and is of no consequence.

I would wait until after the publication and about 200+ hours of clinical experience before putting in the app. This may mean until next year.

On the other hands, your upward trend is amazing and so is your MCAT. I don't foresee a difficulty with finding an acceptance, but I'd throw in some more reputable DO schools just in case (note that this process necessitates a DO LOR and costs a few hundred more dollars). If you plan on going MD-only, consider schools with high OOS acceptances and private schools besides, of course, all your state schools.

Clinical experience is very important. Applying without them would waste both your time and the schools'.

It seems that you have not SUBMITTED your application. Until you press that button, your AMCAS application is incomplete and is of no consequence.

I would wait until after the publication and about 200+ hours of clinical experience before putting in the app. This may mean until next year.

On the other hands, your upward trend is amazing and so is your MCAT. I don't foresee a difficulty with finding an acceptance, but I'd throw in some more reputable DO schools just in case (note that this process necessitates a DO LOR and costs a few hundred more dollars). If you plan on going MD-only, consider schools with high OOS acceptances and private schools besides, of course, all your state schools.

Thanks for the reply; so volunteering does not count as clinical experience? I've volunteered throughout my undergrad years (as mentioend) and have much more than 200 hours...

Members don't see this ad :)
It would count, but then adcoms would want you to also have exposure to primary care and/or hospital settings.

It is also late in the cycle for this year. Since you have a lot of other (great) EC's, would it not be wise to completely concentrate on clinical experiences until next June and put in an amazing application?

Then again, it only costs a few thousand bucks to apply (failing would be reapplicant stigma). Your choice. Great rewards/risks (the reapplicant stigma and lost money is annoying).

It would count, but then adcoms would want you to also have exposure to primary care and/or hospital settings.

It is also late in the cycle for this year. Since you have a lot of other (great) EC's, would it not be wise to completely concentrate on clinical experiences until next June and put in an amazing application?

Then again, it only costs a few thousand bucks to apply (failing would be reapplicant stigma). Your choice. Great rewards/risks (the reapplicant stigma and lost money is annoying).

Thanks again for the reply...

OK sorry I guess I wasn't specific enough...I volunteered at the hospital (some in ER, some in Child life, some in pediatrics outpatient clinic)...so hopefully that counts as clinical settings right? :D Or were you talking about something more "direct" like shadowing...

I do not care about any stigma or money issue (not that I'm filthy rich, it just wouldnt prevent me from applying when I need to)...I am fully expecting to re-apply but only concern I have is that, if I re-apply it will definitely be next year and I heard that med schools do not like it when you re-apply immediately after failing in one cycle. In other words, I just hope that improvements I make in a year looks significant enough to warrant re-applying.

I was actually talking about the amount of hours you put in. I'm not sure how much you could have, considering that you said you just started? The average matriculant has 1 year of clinical / hospital volunteering experience involving being around patients.

Shadowing is also another area that would be great to have (try aiming for 25 hours, at least half of which should be in primary care).

You should look around SDN and see stories of how people do when they apply late with little clinical experience. My own personal story should dissuade you from applying now, but there are others who have had successes (check the general Pre-Allo forum). In the end, it is tricky to predict the effect of a late application combined with little clinical experience on an otherwise excellent applicant.

I was actually talking about the amount of hours you put in. I'm not sure how much you could have, considering that you said you just started? The average matriculant has 1 year of clinical / hospital volunteering experience involving being around patients.

Shadowing is also another area that would be great to have (try aiming for 25 hours, at least half of which should be in primary care).

You should look around SDN and see stories of how people do when they apply late with little clinical experience. My own personal story should dissuade you from applying now, but there are others who have had successes (check the general Pre-Allo forum). In the end, it is tricky to predict the effect of a late application combined with little clinical experience on an otherwise excellent applicant.

oh no lol I think you may have misread my original post... ;)

But at any rate, I really appreciate your input! I did not realize I would get a feedback so soon!

All right then, good luck. It is late and I should be studying rather than sleeping or being on SDN ;)

Depending what you did volunteering at the hospital, you're likely okay. If you did front desk, that's not clinical. If you did ER, that's clinical.

You're fine. The guy with the x-ray avatar obviously didn't read your entire post. You have more than enough exposure to medicine through numerous volunteering activities in the past. I'm just wondering why aren't you speeding things up because you're a darn good applicant!

Graduated with an engineering degree, ~3.0 GPA

I'm in my third semester of my post-bac program at a state school. I'm sitting at 3.97 GPA so far after 31 credits. (re-took orgo2, 22 credits of upper level bio/upper level neuroscience, 3 credits of research, 3 credits for TA) I'm taking 13 hours of classes + 3 research + 2 TA credits, for total 18 hours this semester and don't really see a reason to get below 3.9 this semester. After next semester I expect to have ~50 credits of upper level bioscience/neuroscience with hopefully ~4.0 GPA. Currently I'm spending close to 30 hours a week in my lab and close to publishing my work soon.

Took the MCAT in May and got a 38P (12V/13B/13P), took one december 2009 and got a 28R that time.

Most of my ECs as a post-bac consists of TAing and research - I know medical experience is important but I wanted to show I can flourish in a classroom setting. Still, I just finished registering at a local hospital fir volunteer position starting next week and hopefully get some solid hours in.

As an undergrad, volunteered at a hospital on regular basis for all 4 years, full time for 1 summer, 2 years of DII sport, Habitat for 4 years, RA for 2 years, 2 years of Amnesty International

I've basically completed my application but still haven't submitted my application...I'm worried that if I re-apply next year it will look bad with such a quick turn around. What do you think?

I personally feel that it's a little too late, In a couple days numerous schools will be sending out acceptances. Therefore, as you can obviously tell you will competing for less amount of seats. I would consider applying early next year (June) and very broadly. Other than the timing issue, I think your application looks pretty sweet. Even if you apply now you might have a chance but like I said personally I wouldn't risk the application fees and all.