Jun 6, 2012
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi,

I am a non-traditional pre-med student who took a post-bac course that only offered the four basic, pre-med courses? I haven't taken the MCAT yet and at this point, it looks like I am going to have to take the new 2015 MCAT.

My question is: Can I get by with studying biochemistry on my own? I know it's hard to say because we don't have a clear understanding of which biochemistry concepts will be tested. But I just want to know if it can be done. Also, I just can't afford to enroll in a biochemistry course at this time.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!

benjaminl1nus

Probationary Status
7+ Year Member
May 12, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
Depends on how you study by yourself. Given enough time you can pull it off. I would recommend doing an online course, if at all possible. there are free resources online - check mit open courseware, khan academy, etc. to supplement your studying.

TXhopeful

5+ Year Member
Oct 10, 2013
Status
Medical Student
I took Biochem as a post-bacc student before starting my MCAT studying, and I can say that it absolutely helped solidify certain topics. For example, Biochem hammered amino acids, DNA structures, hemoglobin dissociation, etc., which definitely helps during the studying process, but I can't say it's an absolute necessity to take the MCAT. If you're concerned about it, maybe do a little crash course with the basics after looking over a Biochem topic outline. Crunched for time? Don't even worry about it. Now for the 2015 MCAT, there's a different story....

futuredoc331

SDN Bronze Donor
Bronze Donor
7+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2012
Status
Pre-Medical
There is a professor by the name of Kevin Ahern who has posted all of his courses on youtube. He also has a free book "biochem free and easy".

This course has been nearly identical to the class I'm in now. Watching these lectures and reading a text book (I'm enjoying Lehninger's book) should be sufficient.

Reactions: benjaminl1nus