Non-Trad with 3.3s/3.4c

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rogijero

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I am a re-applicant this year and wondering what my chances are. I applied late last year and took my MCAT in August and ended up with a 24Q. I was pretty devastated after that score, and continued on at UMASS for my M.Sci in Biochem (GPA - 3.8). I ended with a publication and started working at Mass General Hospital. Since then I have had another pub and retaken the MCAT with a 30Q (all 10's). I am hoping someone could enlighten me as to what my chances might be this time around.

Other extra-circulars and honors include:
HHMI Summer Research Internship
Honors Research Grant
Rasied 6k Cycled Across the U.S. for Charity
Awarded Community Service of the Year by an Individual from the University
Fraternity Brother of the Year
Resident Assistant for three years, and graduate assistant director for two years
Volunteered in a Trauma 1 Emergency Department
Volunteered at a exercise center that primarily served people with disabilities as worked with them to develop an exercise program that was adapted to their abilities
Completed a two year Social justice / community activism program that resulted in a certificate in Public Policy
Student Area Governement Exectuive
Fraternity Executive

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,

I am a re-applicant this year and wondering what my chances are. I applied late last year and took my MCAT in August and ended up with a 24Q. I was pretty devastated after that score, and continued on at UMASS for my M.Sci in Biochem (GPA - 3.8). I ended with a publication and started working at Mass General Hospital. Since then I have had another pub and retaken the MCAT with a 30Q (all 10's). I am hoping someone could enlighten me as to what my chances might be this time around.

Other extra-circulars and honors include:
HHMI Summer Research Internship
Honors Research Grant
Rasied 6k Cycled Across the U.S. for Charity
Awarded Community Service of the Year by an Individual from the University
Fraternity Brother of the Year
Resident Assistant for three years, and graduate assistant director for two years
Volunteered in a Trauma 1 Emergency Department
Volunteered at a exercise center that primarily served people with disabilities as worked with them to develop an exercise program that was adapted to their abilities
Completed a two year Social justice / community activism program that resulted in a certificate in Public Policy
Student Area Governement Exectuive
Fraternity Executive
Need more info...

Ugrad gpa breakdown?
Schools applied to before?
Schools you are considering next time around?
State of residency?
What other changes to your app have you had since last cycle?

Thanks for the reply Copacetic One,

Ugrad gpa breakdown? 3.3 science cum / 3.4 overall

Schools applied to before? All top tier MD/PHD schools, definitely not going that route again

Schools you are considering next time around? Umass Medical, UVM, Boston University, Tufts, Dartmouth, Temple, Drexel, George Washington, Georgetown, NY Upstate, Downstate, Stony Brook and Albany - Open to other recommendations though

State of residency? MA

What other changes to your app have you had since last cycle? The two publications are new, finished my M.S., the updated MCAT score, and the research position at Mass General.

If you have any other questions I'll try to get back to you as soon as possible. Thanks again for your input.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply Copacetic One,

Ugrad gpa breakdown? 3.3 science cum / 3.4 overall

Schools applied to before? All top tier MD/PHD schools, definitely not going that route again

Schools you are considering next time around? Umass Medical, UVM, Boston University, Tufts, Dartmouth, Temple, Drexel, George Washington, Georgetown, NY Upstate, Downstate, Stony Brook and Albany - Open to other recommendations though

State of residency? MA

What other changes to your app have you had since last cycle? The two publications are new, finished my M.S., the updated MCAT score, and the research position at Mass General.

If you have any other questions I'll try to get back to you as soon as possible. Thanks again for your input.

GW, GT, BU receive a ton of apps per year and can be very choosy. Your numbers are really low. You should submit ASAP

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

I definitely plan on it. Thanks for your reply.

I definitely plan on it. Thanks for your reply.

I'd also consider broadening your list to some less selective schools in the Midwest. Unless you have a strong geographic preference for the NE, you are missing some good safety schools. Since your numbers are probably 25th percentile or so, you need to apply to a lot of schools.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

I do have a strong preference for the NE, but I am open to other school suggestions. Are there any you had in mind? I was looking at Rosalind Franklin and will probably add that to my list. Thanks again.