Non-Tradional. 3.9, 516+ MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Transmuralmi

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am a non-traditional student. Currently I maintain a 3.9+ overall GPA and received a 516+ on the MCAT. I have well over 10,000 patient care hours as a paramedic. I live in Illinois and would prefer to stay in state due to financial concerns. I have applied to the following schools but I'm wondering if I should expand the list.

MD:

Rush
Rosalind Franklin (CMS)
Loyola (Stritch)
U of I
U of C (Pritzker)
Northwestern (Feinberg)

Updated to include:

Medical College of Wisconsin
St. Louis university
Oakland Beaumont
University of Wisconsin
University of Michigan
Michigan State University
Creighton University

DO:

Midwestern (CCOM)
Marian

Updated to include:

DMU
Michigan State COM

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Just for clarification, how did you receive a 516+?

Add a few more schools such as Medical College Wisconsin, St. Louis, Creighton, Oakland Beaumont, Western Michigan, Indiana.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just for clarification, how did you receive a 516+?
I received a score higher than 516. I don't want to say an exact number in order to preserve my anonymity. Although I doubt there are too many other paramedics applying to these programs.

Add a few more schools such as Medical College Wisconsin, St. Louis, Creighton, Oakland Beaumont, Western Michigan, Indiana.
Thank you. Do you think I was too selective by only applying to IL schools? I have added these other universities to my list!

Last edited:
Hello all,

I am a non-traditional student. Currently I maintain a 3.9+ overall GPA and received a 516+ on the MCAT. I have well over 10,000 patient care hours as a paramedic. I live in Illinois and would prefer to stay in state due to financial concerns. I have applied to the following schools but I'm wondering if I should expand the list.

MD:

Rush
Rosalind Franklin (CMS)
Loyola (Stritch)
U of I
U of C (Pritzker)
Northwestern (Feinberg)

DO:

Midwestern (CCOM)
Marian

You need to add more schools. With a 3.9, >95 %ile MCAT, and 10,000+ patient hours, you have a shot anywhere, but 6 MD schools is totally not enough.

Apply to high tier schools that are not strictly research powerhouses (e.g., UMich, UPenn, BU). I would take a good look at the MSAR and add 10 more OOS schools.

Reactions: 1 user
You need to add more schools. With a 3.9, >95 %ile MCAT, and 10,000+ patient hours, you have a shot anywhere, but 6 MD schools is totally not enough.

Apply to high tier schools that are not strictly research powerhouses (e.g., UMich, UPenn, BU). I would take a good look at the MSAR and add 10 more OOS schools.

I will add a few more schools to the list. This process is super expensive and I'm working full time and attending full time school.

How I'd probably go about it.

IL isnt a particularly good state for MD admission if you aren't eligible for SIU. Hence guaranteeing yourself a shot at staying IS is tough even with a good app.
Only you can determine how limiting finances are and how important it is for you to stay in IL.
Even with good stats from IL you probably want a decent OOS list.

Edit:
UIC RFU Loyola and Rush provide you 4 such schools. How much higher than 516 you have is important.
Personally I would definitely opt for regional MD schools over an OOS DO like Marian
Again how much higher than 516 is important because many of the schools within reasonable distance around Chicago(ie Oakland, MCW etc) might look at someone with some 519+ type score as low yield.
Regardless some reasonable OOS choices from within the Chicago vicinity that might be worth a look could be something like Cincinnati or SLU with an MCAT median around 33-34 that's OOS friendly.

You have 8 schools on your list so far. You have a good chance at UIC. I would probably try to include at the very least several more regional schools and just how high your MCAT is would be important in determining which to target.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

IL isnt a particularly good state for MD admission if you aren't eligible for SIU. Hence guaranteeing yourself a shot at staying IS is tough even with a good app.
Only you can determine how limiting finances are and how important it is for you to stay in IL.
Even with good stats from IL you probably want about 10-12 schools you can go in saying you have a reasonable shot at getting a II at.

UIC RFU Loyola and Rush provide you 4 such schools.
Personally I would definitely opt for local MD schools over an OOS DO like Marian.
Good MD choices that are within reasonable distance of Chicago if that's where your from could be:
Oakland, SLU, MCW, U of WI, Cincinnati, Wayne St W Michigan U of Iowa and IU(best choices are probably the ones I listed first)

You have 8 schools on your list so far. Include the 6 IL MD schools and maybe a half dozen like the ones I listed above and youll have close to 10 schools you can go in saying you have a reasonable shot at getting a II at. Not the most optimal strategy ideally but if finances and geography are a big concern it can still work.

This is great. Thank you for your advice. Can you please elaborate on why Illinois isn't a good state for MD admission?

This is great. Thank you for your advice. Can you please elaborate on why Illinois isn't a good state for MD admission?

It's not horrible just too many good apps for too few spots IS. Only one true state school for you. On top of that Rush has very high service/volunteering standards and your stats are high for RFU and Rush.
Northwestern and Pritzker are well......Northwestern and Pritzker.
If you exclude SIU(which most in IL aren't eligible for) only 20% of people from IL will matriculate in state which is a fairly low number.

Last edited:
I would also add Duke, U Miami, BU, Creighton, DMU, MCW. Like it or not, you have to look beyond ILL

Hello all,

MD:

Rush
Rosalind Franklin (CMS)
Loyola (Stritch)
U of I
U of C (Pritzker)
Northwestern (Feinberg)

DO:

Midwestern (CCOM)
Marian

I would also add Duke, U Miami, BU, Creighton, DMU, MCW. Like it or not, you have to look beyond ILL

Alright. I'll add more schools to my primary now. I did receive an II for Midwestern DO program! So that's something!

Currently up to 12 total Primary MD, 6 Secondary MD, 2 DO secondary.

Reactions: 1 user

Even with good stats from IL you probably want a decent OOS list.

Edit:
UIC RFU Loyola and Rush provide you 4 such schools. How much higher than 516 you have is important.
Personally I would definitely opt for regional MD schools over an OOS DO like Marian
Again how much higher than 516 is important because many of the schools within reasonable distance around Chicago(ie Oakland, MCW etc) might look at someone with some 519+ type score as low yield.
Regardless some reasonable OOS choices from within the Chicago vicinity that might be worth a look could be something like Cincinnati or SLU with an MCAT median around 33-34 that's OOS friendly.

You have 8 schools on your list so far. You have a good chance at UIC. I would probably try to include at the very least several more regional schools and just how high your MCAT is would be important in determining which to target.

It is not much higher than 516. But I get what you are saying! Thanks

Me personally I'd go for IU Cincinnati and U of Iowa over DMU Marian and Michigan St but rest looks fine