Non-Traditional Applicant Chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

postbacpremed87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
MCAT: 23 (PS: 8, VR: 6, BS: 9) - LOWER THAN ALL OF MY PRACTICE SCORES!!!

Very depressed about my score and even more depressed about not having the opportunity to retake at the moment. I will preface this by saying that I am willing to go anywhere and have nothing but confidence in my interviewing ability. I just want 1 interview! I hope to WOW them.

AACOMAS sGPA: 3.84
AACOMAS combined: 3.75

Non-traditional - B.S. in Econ then post-bac; strong PS statement apparently (good life story) first from fam in college etc

EC:
Clinical Research Intern - 6 months - Translational Medicine study
Hospice patient volunteer 2 years
Work experience in school - Finance Internship + IT job
Shadowing:
Internal Medicine and Pulmonology - 200 hours
Orthopedic Surgery - 100 hours
Cardiology - 12 hours
Hospice-Palliative Med - 12 hours
Gen Surg - 6 hours (MD+DO)

Strong letter from DO surgeon

Applying to all lower MCAT and new schools:

LECOM-Erie
Campbell (have strong NC ties)
Marian (in Midwestern state)
Alabama
WVSOM (currently near here)
Pikeville - KY (currently near here)
Lincoln Memorial - DeBusk
VCOM - Virginia (strong NC ties)
VCOM - Carolinas (strong NC ties)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Sadly, this appears to be an all too common theme I see on SDN. I hope that future readers will take their practice scores with a grain of salt.

Everything else about your packet is great. Your list looks like it's the most promising, but I suspect that there are a few ore schools that might take you. Just a guess...try PCOM-GA, and both FL schools.

LECOM-Erie
Alabama

Sadly, this appears to be an all too common theme I see on SDN. I hope that future readers will take their practice scores with a grain of salt.

UPDATE: I can retake! I signed up for August 28th and I am doing a prep course for 7 weeks that will end right before the date. I am going in pumped. I feel that I really only need to maintain the PS and BS (maybe +1 on the PS) and increase verbal by 2-3. I can do this. How do I indicate to schools that I am retaking? I have already submitted to AACOMAS but the schools have not received my app yet. Will they make their decision without my new score or will they wait? I will have the score Sept. 28th or so, but already be verified. Someone who is wiser please chime in...

Members don't see this ad :)
UPDATE: I can retake! I signed up for August 28th and I am doing a prep course for 7 weeks that will end right before the date. I am going in pumped. I feel that I really only need to maintain the PS and BS (maybe +1 on the PS) and increase verbal by 2-3. I can do this. How do I indicate to schools that I am retaking? I have already submitted to AACOMAS but the schools have not received my app yet. Will they make their decision without my new score or will they wait? I will have the score Sept. 28th or so, but already be verified. Someone who is wiser please chime in...

Be careful. If you get anything less than a 26 it'd be a waste of time in my opinion.

I don't think there are many wiser than Goro when it comes to admissions... :)

Anyway, you need to contact each school. Phone or email, and let them know that you are retaking the test. Tell them the date and they will note it in your file.

It may not hurt to try contacting AACOMAS and asking if they can make the note in your application. I don't think they will, but you have nothing to lose by trying.

Don't hold back. If you are taking a prep course go all in and try for increasing (not maintaining) your science scores. There is a HUGE difference between single digit and double digit scores. Maybe an increase in verbal will also help you in your passages in the science sections.

Keep telling yourself you can do it. Confidence is most of the battle with this beast.

Good luck. I hope you have success.

dsoz

I meant wiser than myself! Ha.

I don't think there are many wiser than Goro when it comes to admissions... :)

Anyway, you need to contact each school. Phone or email, and let them know that you are retaking the test. Tell them the date and they will note it in your file.

It may not hurt to try contacting AACOMAS and asking if they can make the note in your application. I don't think they will, but you have nothing to lose by trying.

Don't hold back. If you are taking a prep course go all in and try for increasing (not maintaining) your science scores. There is a HUGE difference between single digit and double digit scores. Maybe an increase in verbal will also help you in your passages in the science sections.

Keep telling yourself you can do it. Confidence is most of the battle with this beast.

Good luck. I hope you have success.

dsoz

Chances are fine. Someone with 3.47/3.22/23 got 5 interviews including to ACOM MUCOM CUSOM and LMU last year in fact.

Could I get an interview invite, but the committee withhold their decision until I get my August MCAT score?

I know someone with similar scores to yours (and similar breakdown), with a lower GPA who was accepted to multiple schools. Your list is good. Depending on how well you worded your PS and your work/life experience is what is going to determine whether or not you get some II this cycle.

I know someone with similar scores to yours (and similar breakdown), with a lower GPA who was accepted to multiple schools. Your list is good. Depending on how well you worded your PS and your work/life experience is what is going to determine whether or not you get some II this cycle.

Which schools were they accepted to? Thanks for the uplifting news. I will go anywhere. I just want to be a physician. I do not want to take the MCAT again but I will try. It would be nice to be accepted before having to take it...I cannot believe I got a 6 on verbal. I scored 10's on a few AAMC practice tests. It is so variable.

I just added PCOM - GA campus for 11 total DO schools. In your opinion what is the %chance of receiving an interview at 1 of the 11 schools above if I am complete at these schools by the end of this month/early next month?

Also should I include that I am retaking the MCAT in my AACOMAS application or should I remove it and only update my profile if it comes back a few points better?

Which schools were they accepted to? Thanks for the uplifting news. I will go anywhere. I just want to be a physician. I do not want to take the MCAT again but I will try. It would be nice to be accepted before having to take it...I cannot believe I got a 6 on verbal. I scored 10's on a few AAMC practice tests. It is so variable.

Ones you are applying to. They generally are GPA heavy, or focusing more on ECs. LMU especially has interest in nontrads, so I've been told. You're just kind of rolling the dice with that MCAT though. Cross some fingers and be prepared to knock interviews out the park if you get some. I think you will get a couple. Good luck.

Highly unlikely. Most probably they'll hold your file until they dip down to applicants with your numbers, or they receive your newer and hopefully higher score, at which point the invite would probably go out.

If the school is flooded with higher quality applicants at this point, then you might not hear from them for quite awhile.

Could I get an interview invite, but the committee withhold their decision until I get my August MCAT score?

I just scored an 11 on an EK 101 practice FL. WTH!!!! This freaking score does not define me. An 8,11,9 would make me semi-MD competitive with my GPA. Arghhhh. DO schools do not accept me at your own peril.....just wait until my retake comes in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great applicant here.

Very depressed about my score and even more depressed about not having the opportunity to retake at the moment. I will preface this by saying that I am willing to go anywhere and have nothing but confidence in my interviewing ability. I just want 1 interview! I hope to WOW them.

AACOMAS sGPA: 3.84
AACOMAS combined: 3.75

Non-traditional - B.S. in Econ then post-bac; strong PS statement apparently (good life story) first from fam in college etc

EC:
Clinical Research Intern - 6 months - Translational Medicine study
Hospice patient volunteer 2 years
Work experience in school - Finance Internship + IT job
Shadowing:
Internal Medicine and Pulmonology - 200 hours
Orthopedic Surgery - 100 hours
Cardiology - 12 hours
Hospice-Palliative Med - 12 hours
Gen Surg - 6 hours (MD+DO)

Strong letter from DO surgeon

Applying to all lower MCAT and new schools:

LECOM-Erie
Alabama

I just scored an 11 on an EK 101 practice FL. WTH!!!! This freaking score does not define me. An 8,11,9 would make me semi-MD competitive with my GPA. Arghhhh. DO schools do not accept me at your own peril.....just wait until my retake comes in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great applicant here.
You are absolutely right. Your MCAT score does not define you. We all get frustrated thinking that it does. It is one test out of many you will take in your lifetime. You have a lot of other things going for you right now. Also, you are taking active steps to improve upon your application. Just prepare for the August MCAT and try not to stress out about it. You know you can do it. Show those schools your determination.

Relax... You will get in somewhere. This is the beauty with VR. People with scores like (10/5/11) are having a tough time to get in. On the other hand, I know some with (7/11/8) who got into multiple schools...

Last edited:
Relax... You will get in somewhere. This the beauty with VR. People with scores like (10/5/11) are having a tough time to get in. On the other hand, I know some with (7/11/8) who got into multiple schools...

My MCAT score was a 23....PS: 8, VR: 6, BS: 9....yours was higher than mine

Make a note of this on your app when you apply... :rolleyes:

Seriously... I feel like i've been seeing it a lot lately. Hopefully I won't be one of them.

I would retake rather than apply. I think you can get into a much better school with just getting a 25, preferably 26.