Non-Traditional applicant here. Need some help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lshen

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My first thread here :)!
I just finished my DAT yesterday (I know it is kinda late), I got AA 23, TS 24, PAT 25. One thing I am really worried is my RC is only 19, I don't know how it will affect the final result. I only got three-week afterwork time to study DAT so I only blame myself that I started late. My another dilemma is my limited shadowing experience, right now I have 45 hours in person general dentistry shadowing experience and 5 hours of upcoming ortho shadowing. I also participated in around 20ish virtual shadowing sessions. I have a full-time job so it is tough to get these experiences done already plus the COVID situation. Do you guys think I need more hours? If yes, how many? I kind met minimum requirements by most of schools I want to apply.
Some other facts about myself:
My undergrad cGPA=3.83, sGPA=3.85. I do have a PhD degree in cell biology with a special focus on bone biology, ( GPA for PhD is 3.95, if it matters lol). I don't know how much a Bio PhD degree can help my application. If anyone has any similar experience, please let me know.
I am aiming at some schools with strong research labs like UMich, Harvard, UPenn.

I really appreciate any suggestions or recommendations or comments! Good luck everyone on this cycle's appilication

LS

Members don't see this ad.

You’re going to be fine, lol. If you want to apply this cycle, I would figure out a way to shadow over the next month at least 55 hours so you get to 100. Then apply and you’re going to get in. I mean you have a killer GPA, DAT, and PhD.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You’re going to be fine, lol. If you want to apply this cycle, I would figure out a way to shadow over the next month at least 55 hours so you get to 100. Then apply and you’re going to get in. I mean you have a killer GPA, DAT, and PhD.
Thanks! That's a reliever! I'll see if I can get some more hours for shadowing!

apply now
don't wait
explain in the covid essay about the shadowing hours and do a summer update...

apply now
don't wait
explain in the covid essay about the shadowing hours and do a summer update...
Thank you for the suggestion! I will probably finish my app this week!

Genuinely curious...what makes you want to pursue a second doctorate degree after already having one? So much pain and late nights after already having done that.

I agree with everyone else. You have wonderful chances and will get in

oh, missed the part about UMich, Harvard, UPenn
you have a shot at those schools, but remember that they are amongst the most competitive to get into, so there is no guarantee, even with stats as high as yours
so you should also apply to your in-state school and some other publics that offer in state after the first year

Genuinely curious...what makes you want to pursue a second doctorate degree after already having one? So much pain and late nights after already having done that.

I agree with everyone else. You have wonderful chances and will get in
Thank you for your kind words! While I was doing my PhD, I did find a gap between basic research and clinical research, a field that needs to be filled by the collaboration between the two sides. However, the collaboration is limited; but I think I might be fit into this position if I can be trained by both sides. I study bone, which is also a mineral organ, and many bone researchers actually reside in dental schools across the nation. I do a lot of craniofacial bone research. The similarity and juxtaposition between the two organs drives me to pursue this career.
I don't know if I explain this well; maybe its too vague. and I am also trying to convey this idea in my ps lol.

oh, missed the part about UMich, Harvard, UPenn
you have a shot at those schools, but remember that they are amongst the most competitive to get into, so there is no guarantee, even with stats as high as yours
so you should also apply to your in-state school and some other publics that offer in state after the first year
Thank you for your kind reminder! Ans I will keep this in mind. I am planning to apply some publics as well like UNC UCLA and UCSF.

What’s your state residency?
Actually I am an international student even though I have been in the states for almost 10 years. I will be considered as OOS everywhere I guess. My current residency is in NC.

Thank you for your kind reminder! Ans I will keep this in mind. I am planning to apply some publics as well like UNC UCLA and UCSF.
three more extremely competitive schools...