Non-Traditional Applicant, hoping I make the cut...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bette

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got my B.S. in Mechanical Engineering and worked as a design engineer at a major engineering company for two years before I decided I wanted to switch careers and go into medicine. I left my job and I have been working at a hospital with a research group, where I have unique and lengthy interactions with patients on a near daily basis.

My undergraduate GPA is 3.52, which seems on the lower end but was in a very difficult major. I am currently doing my pre-med requirements in a post-bac program at Harvard Extension School, and my GPA is about a 3.5-3.6 (I am working ~50 hours/week). I am taking the MCAT next month, so I don't have a score for that yet, but I think I'm on track for a 33-35.

I'm nervous because as an engineer, I didn't take many humanities. I'm also concerned that my GPA doesn't represent my academic abilities. I don't have any volunteer experience under my belt, but I've been working full time in a medical setting and doing my pre-med courses, so that doesn't leave me much time. Can anyone tell me about non-traditional applicants, your experience applying as one, and if I have a shot at getting into any M.D. programs?

Members don't see this ad.

I got my B.S. in Mechanical Engineering and worked as a design engineer at a major engineering company for two years before I decided I wanted to switch careers and go into medicine. I left my job and I have been working at a hospital with a research group, where I have unique and lengthy interactions with patients on a near daily basis.

My undergraduate GPA is 3.52, which seems on the lower end but was in a very difficult major. I am currently doing my pre-med requirements in a post-bac program at Harvard Extension School, and my GPA is about a 3.5-3.6 (I am working ~50 hours/week). I am taking the MCAT next month, so I don't have a score for that yet, but I think I'm on track for a 33-35.

I'm nervous because as an engineer, I didn't take many humanities. I'm also concerned that my GPA doesn't represent my academic abilities. I don't have any volunteer experience under my belt, but I've been working full time in a medical setting and doing my pre-med courses, so that doesn't leave me much time. Can anyone tell me about non-traditional applicants, your experience applying as one, and if I have a shot at getting into any M.D. programs?

Hey!

Nice to see another person posting from the bean.

Anyway, on to business.

How long have you had your current position? If you haven't done anything medically related before, it might be beneficial to stay for longer to show that you have interest. However, good letters of rec from your PI can help with that, as can a good mcat and grades in your requirements.

Waiting for the regulars to chime in :)

Good luck!

Nice to see another person posting from the bean

I didn't know anyone from Boston actually called it Beantown, I thought that's just for out-of-towners and tourists ;).

Anyway OP, ECs aside I think a 3.5/34 will be good enough for a few acceptances (especially considering the difficulty of your major). Additionally, managing a decent GPA in your post-bac with such a heavy workload demonstrates time management proficiency.

As far as ECs go, since you've apparently begun involving yourself with clinical and research experiences, the only other suggestion I'll make is volunteering (the opportunities are endless, just do something that you enjoy).

Unfortunately, I am not a non-trad so I cannot vouch for my experience as one, but I do think (with a solid MCAT score) that you will have a successful application cycle as long as you are able to communicate a solid reason for the career change.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the quick response! Good to hear from someone in Boston :)

I have been at my current position for a year, and I actually didn't mention that I worked at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute for a year, after engineering but before getting this research job. Unfortunately, I didn't get any clinical experience in that job, which is why I moved on, and why I don't think it will count too much towards my medical experience...

I will be done with my pre-med requirements at the end of this semester (woo hoo!), but the humanities thing is haunting me... I should probably take a few classes just to be on the safe side.

Thank you very much! The insight is very appreciated :)

the humanities thing is haunting me... I should probably take a few classes just to be on the safe side.
Or avoid applying to the med schools that require them.

Nontrads do get some leniency in the EC arena, but I'm concerned that you have zero volunteerism. Is there any experience from the undergrad days you can mention to show your altruism? Can't you give an hour a week to a soup kitchen or homeless shelter? Also, get in some physician shadowing if not already done. This can be done at the last minute, at odd hours of the night, over spring break. Longevity isn't required. Try to have about 50 hours (the average listed).

And since your postbac GPA isn't sterling, consider some additonal upper-level Bio when you're done with the prerequisites. And let schools know your grades with update letters, along with improvements in your ECs after you submit.