Non-Traditional Applicant (Music Major) Seeking Pre-Med Advice

Jun 2, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Good afternoon,

As the title states I graduated as a music major and psychology minor. I am returning to school to complete the prerequisites for medical school beginning this summer. I have been fascinated by the health care field for quite some time, attending pre-med club as often as possible in college, shadowing speech language pathologists, physical therapists and volunteering at rehabilitation centers throughout the years. During my last undergraduate semester I visited the pre-med advisor at my university and asked for guidance concerning prerequisites. I decided to take time off from academia and three years have passed. I would like to know if I am prospectively in good standing as a nontraditional student with my education and work background.

My cGPA was 3.58 at a small private university (The majority of my free time was spent practicing and in rehearsals)

I received a full scholarship for my undergraduate degree (If this comes across as boastful, that is not my intention).

I studied under a renowned music professor and performer that is well known in my area of expertise, which is why I picked my university.

I have hundreds of volunteer hours with several organizations that are close to my heart.

I have been involved in several organizations (and still am) in leadership positions.

I currently run my own business teaching private music lessons.

At this point in time I am taking Medical Terminology (albeit not a prerequisite and an easy course) and have signed up for General Chemistry I and General Chemistry I Lab as summer courses and General Chemistry Lecture II, Lab II and Principles of Biology I in the fall through a local community college. I realize that community college credits are not considered the most challenging and am hoping if I take higher level courses at a public university (such as organic chemistry I and II) I will be able to demonstrate my ability. I am currently pursuing the majority of my prerequisites through community college because of price. I did not list my sGPA as I have not taken the majority of prerequisites yet.

Depending on my statement of purpose, MCAT score, sGPA and letters of recommendation, will I have a chance as a non-traditional applicant?

All feedback is appreciated, thank you in advance.

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.