Non traditional applicant seeking advice/suggestions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

captainmike03

Reaction score
I started college in 2000, graduated college in 2010 because I was my mom's primary caregiver after an accident.....and now looking to realize my dream of going to dental school. I'm 38 y/o, I look 32 (lol), also have 15 years working experience, with much of that in management and leadership positions for two fortune 100 companies.

My oGPA was 3.37 and sGPA was 3.30 from a division 1 school. I prepared well for 3 months and just took the DAT last week with this breakdown...25 AA, 24 TS, 20 RC, 30 QR, 24 BIO, 27 GC, 22 OC, and 18 PAT (old guy's eyes must've been failing me!). A old science prof I had was astounded at the scores after not having taken those classes in nearly 15 years. I have recent dental shadowing experience (and getting more this summer), research experience in college, volunteering experience as a math tutor and at an animal shelter, and also did some habitat for humanity, and what I feel to be a very strong personal statement and essays. Also have some experience in a healthcare environment, working in a managed care clinic.

What do you guys think are my chances? I know my GPA isn't my strongest point, but I don't think its killing me either. I'm hoping my being a little more experienced than the average applicant with management experience would help me. My DAT score can't hurt. Does my changing careers at this point in my life raise red flags? Is this all a pipe dream? All opinions are welcome. Thanks everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

I think your chances are slim to none, but not because of your stats, but because dental schools don't take credits from even 10 years ago, let alone 20 years ago. They will be skeptical of your ability to perform in dental school despite your high DAT score and will most likely recommend you to either retake your pre-reqs, or get a master's degree first.

I’d call the schools you’re interested in and ask if theyd accept your pre-reqs, some schools only accept pre-reqs from the last 5 years

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Connect with the schools located closest to you. Make sure you have an idea who will write you letters of recommendation since many will have requirements for professors who have taught you in science courses or labs. (And prereqs older than 5 years...)

I think your chances are slim to none, but not because of your stats, but because dental schools don't take credits from even 10 years ago, let alone 20 years ago. They will be skeptical of your ability to perform in dental school despite your high DAT score and will most likely recommend you to either retake your pre-reqs, or get a master's degree first.

I thought of this as a potential hurdle, but the schools I spoke with and that I am applying to do not have a pre-req cutoff date, and frequently see applicants that are well into their 30s (and even 40s) who did college awhile ago. They say they are looking for a commitment and deep understanding of the profession. They did tell me that because I was out of the game for awhile that a high DAT score was going to count for a lot, so at least I was able to deliver there.

I thought of this as a potential hurdle, but the schools I spoke with and that I am applying to do not have a pre-req cutoff date, and frequently see applicants that are well into their 30s (and even 40s) who did college awhile ago. They say they are looking for a commitment and deep understanding of the profession. They did tell me that because I was out of the game for awhile that a high DAT score was going to count for a lot, so at least I was able to deliver there.

I mean that sounds nice and all that they told you that, but I would take any advice not from the dean of admissions him/herself with a grain of salt. I would not be surprised if you get rejected or waitlisted, and them to recommend you to get a masters instead.

I mean that sounds nice and all that they told you that, but I would take any advice not from the dean of admissions him/herself with a grain of salt. I would not be surprised if you get rejected or waitlisted, and them to recommend you to get a masters instead.
This is why talking to current students with a similar background is important.

Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile