Non-traditional Applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

capnamerica

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm a non-traditional applicant having just graduated with a MSc. I was in undergrad from 2007 to 2012 and in grad school from 2012 to 2014. I took first year bio, chem, and physics during my first year of undergrad and took organic chem during 2nd year. I've yet to take biochem (enrolled for the coming winter semester). Given that I took my first year prereqs in 2008 though (organic chem in 2010), is it advisable that I retake them?

Thanks,
TheCapn

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey Cap,

You shouldn't need to retake any prereqs. It varies from school to school, but the majority of ones I've researched will take credits in that timeline. YMMV, depending on your actual school list.

One thing I will note: some of the schools I contacted asked me for my stats before they answered that question. You can draw your own conclusions from that.

Sincerely,

An Actual Captain.

Hey Cap,

You shouldn't need to retake any prereqs. It varies from school to school, but the majority of ones I've researched will take credits in that timeline. YMMV, depending on your actual school list.

One thing I will note: some of the schools I contacted asked me for my stats before they answered that question. You can draw your own conclusions from that.

Sincerely,

An Actual Captain.

Thanks! I'll try contacting some of the schools I'm hoping to apply to then.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Cap,

Sincerely,

An Actual Captain.
Yyyyyyut!

Do well on the DAT. Some schools say they like it if the prerequisites are from the last 5 years, but it's not a requirement for any school I've seen. If you did poorly, then I can see schools recommending you retake them. Do well on the science portions of the DAT and I doubt you'll have a problem.