Non-traditional applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mwharris22

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Race: White
State: GA
Major: Banking and Finance
cGPA: 3.77
scGPA: 3.98
MCAT: 36

ECs:
500+ hours youth league baseball/basketball coach
100+ hours clinical volunteer
50+ shadowing 7 different physicians/fields
Worked in Investment Banking for two years
Fraternity Treasurer and Judiciary executive during undergrad
No research experience
Did the study abroad thing
Ran an Ironman and plan to do one on each continent

I'm looking to apply to all the GA schools but wanted to get an opinion on my chances with the top 20 schools (particularly those along the East coast and in Texas). Let me know if I left any pertinent information out. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

you should do fine as long as your are socially competent and can write a good personal statement and secondary essays. Your GPA/MCAT are top-notch. I got into a top 40 (ranked #3 for primary care) with a lot less.

Good luck
dsoz

You have similar stats and background to me. However to be taken more seriously by the top-tiers you would need research experience, whether it's bench or clinical research. If you can manage to get that down you could have a great shot! Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Good numbers -- but by law, since public schools in Texas are required to admit 90% of their students from in state, your shot there is not good - sorry.

ECs:
No research experience

I'm looking to apply to all the GA schools but wanted to get an opinion on my chances with the top 20 schools (particularly those along the East coast and in Texas). Let me know if I left any pertinent information out. Thanks in advance.
"Top Schools" might overlook a lack of research in a nontrad who has some other extraordinary accomplishments to compensate. But top schools aim to train future leaders in medicine, so to appeal to them, you need your application to reflect that potential. What peer leadership have you demonstrated in the last two years where you managed groups of people to get a job done?

"Top Schools" might overlook a lack of research in a nontrad who has some other extraordinary accomplishments to compensate. But top schools aim to train future leaders in medicine, so to appeal to them, you need your application to reflect that potential. What peer leadership have you demonstrated in the last two years where you managed groups of people to get a job done?

This is one of my biggest concerns with my application. I had done Habitat and Relay for Life while I was in undergrad so I thought I'd get more involved once I was back in school. However, the leadership positions I applied for were "reserved for undergraduate students". While I was working in IB I had begun discussions with a local hospital about creating a program for people to visit terminally ill children. That never got off the ground since I soon left my job for school though. I tried to start up something similar here in Athens, but it never came to fruition. I have been selected as a study group leader by my teacher for two classes and have tutored for a couple more. That's really the extent to what I've been able to do during post-bac from a leadership standpoint.

My lack of peer leadership hasn't been for a lack of effort. Just lack of opportunities.

Isn't there a H for H chapter in the wider (noncampus) local community where you could take on a chair position?

There is. When I looked into it, there didn't appear to be any available group leader positions though. When it became clear I would "only" be a volunteer, I decided I would rather spend my time volunteering at the hospital. I'd rather discuss x activities I'm truly passionate about than x + 3 activities I'm not as passionate about.

The lack of research might hurt at those schools that are reseacrh uber-heavy, like, say, Stanford, but otherwise, I say aim high and your chances appear stellar.

ECs:
No research experience